My inspiration board - "English at Vassar" was displayed under a picture of Anne Hathaway

melissae 5 / 11  
Please read! Any feedback helps!
How did you learn about Vassar and what aspect of our college do you find appealing? Limit 350 words

While watching Les Misérables, Anne Hathaway's "I Dreamed a Dream" scene came on. Her ability to deliver such an emotional scene prompted me to learn more about her. It was the summer prior to my senior year so looking for colleges was heavily influencing my thoughts. I let that be my first source of investigation.

I looked up what school Anne Hathaway attended. "English at Vassar" was displayed under a picture of her. Vassar, the word stuck out like a familiar face you see but cannot seem to place. I went to bed that night and turned to look at my inspiration board, a place full of people, sayings and art that I draw energy from. My eyes focused on a picture in the top left corner. Meryl Streep, it all clicked. This realization intrigued me, I wanted to learn more about the school that provided the seminal experience for their careers.

I stayed up researching Vassar and found myself watching a YouTube video titled What is a "must take" class at Vassar. Hearing the students rhapsodize about the classes offered at Vassar such as "Because Dave Chappelle Said So" and Imprisonment in the Prisoner spurred a desire for me to take these same classes. Vassar's unique approach to an education sans a core curriculum will give me the freedom to be an independent student and explore the breadth of classes offered, thus fulfilling my varied interests.

The appreciation for the arts at Vassar coincides with my passions. I envision myself exploring the vast amount of artwork at The Frances Lehman Art Center and involving myself in the diverse clubs such as the Vassar Filmmakers Club and Vassar Prison Initiative. I am interested to see how the transformative college experience at Vassar will be reflected in the new inspiration board that will be hanging by my bedside in the future.
clamalva33 2 / 10  
I like your essay!
It's just unclear what your realization concerning Meryl Streep is. Did she also go to Vassar? If so, I would make that connection more clear. Also, "Imprisonment in the Prisoner" should be in quotation marks.

Home / Undergraduate / My inspiration board - "English at Vassar" was displayed under a picture of Anne Hathaway