"Inspiration or hard work?" STANFORD SUPPLEMENT

R1993 3 / 2  
Stanford students are widely known to possess a sense of intellectual vitality. Tell us about an idea or an experience you have had that you find intellectually engaging.

Inspiration or hard work? This was the question posed in a recent English debate assignment. It was a controversial question which triggered a long, internal discussion within me. Inspiration is present in all of us, but only appears when we are in the right place at exactly the right time. It acts as a mental stimulus for all great projects worthy of mention and eminence. It is the first arrow on the path that leads to the threshold of greatness and creativity.

I congratulate those who have been inspired, but what good is inspiration without diligence? Is it enough to have a great idea or epiphany and sit on the porch, waiting for it to imminently come to life? No, it is not, or else we would be living in havoc. Hard work may not seem as miraculous or anomalous as inspiration, but it comprises the steps that bring us close to the threshold of greatness. Although inspiration's importance can not be disregarded, it was finally obvious to me that hard work was the most important.

Inspiration may be the first piece of a 200-word puzzle, but hard work is the remaining 199 pieces.
monkeymaze 7 / 15  
I really like the idea for this essay. Great metaphors! I especially like the concluding sentence & thought process with questions about inspiration. Do you think that this essay is a little short? I feel like it needs some more thought on the 2nd paragraph. Try to answer why hard work was the most important or why it is the "threshold of greatness?" But all is well.

It was a controversial question whichthat triggered a long, internal discussion within me.

Home / Undergraduate / "Inspiration or hard work?" STANFORD SUPPLEMENT