'instant information' - NYU SUPPLEMENT- What intrigues you?

anshikav 4 / 19  
What intrigues you? Tell us about one work of art, scientific achievement, piece of literature, method of communication, or place in the world (a film, book, performance, website, event, location, etc.), and explain its significance to you. 1500 character max

Ever since I began reading I've devoured every piece of literature, poetry, fiction, and non-fiction book I could find. I spent hours at the public library pouring over old dusty volumes, and checked out every single paperback the school had to offer. When I was little, at bedtime I'd lay under the covers for hours with a flashlight just to finish reading. Books taught me about distant places, eccentric people, and intense situations. Nancy Drew novels taught me to be fearless, and Edgar Allen Poe showed me the darkness in people. Not too long ago books were the biggest form of communication. By writing novels, essays, and pamphlets writers got to spread their thoughts and ideas to the masses. But communication has evolved drastically in the past years; people went from writing pen-on-paper letters to now, simply shooting a two-word text. Instead of opening up the newspaper, more and more people just browse headlines on the web. Books are getting less and less popular, giving way to television and movies. Don't get me wrong, I think instant information is important, and movies are a good source of entertainment. But books have the ability communicate messages that no other method can. The value of a good book is immense, and to me they will always be the mode of communication.
lwest94 3 / 8  
Ever since I began reading I've devoured every piece of literature, poetry, fiction, and non-fiction book I could find

I would say "Ever since I began reading I've devoured every piece of literature I could find" OR "Ever since I began reading I've devoured every piece of poetry, fiction, and non-fiction I could find" - pick one.

Not too long ago books were the biggest form of communication. Maybe "fairly recently" instead of "no too long ago"?

to me they will always be the mode of communication

The BEST mode of communication?

I like the essay as a whole; it is creative.
lwest94 3 / 8  
No problem! Good luck, I'm applying to NYU as well. :)

If you have a chance and could look over my Extracurricular essay for the common app, I would appreciate it!
singh955 7 / 36  
Your essay is very clear and concise. I did not see any errors in it other than the ones already fixed.

Good luck! If you have time, please look at my essay.
OP anshikav 4 / 19  
i'll definitely read both of your essays thanks for the feedback!! :)
Anxhela 6 / 28  
"Books taught me about distant places, eccentric people, and intense situations. Nancy Drew novels taught me to be fearless"..I would try to change one verb,it sounds a bit repetitive..

"the best mode of communication"..I think you should use a stronger end sentence..

If you have time..can you please look at my "Amherst supplement essay- difficulties..please help mee"?

Good luck
maryp630 7 / 20  
I really love your essay. Im also applying to NYU and this is one of the things I was going to write about. I dont really see any errors and the ones that I did see originally were fixed. Hope this helps! Question: Did you do your Why NYU essay already? Ive been having such a hard time with that one.
Kielbasy - / 7  
Your essay is great. it's well-structured and it keeps the reader's interest.

I can see only one fundamental problem... The prompt asks to:
"Tell us about one work of art, scientific achievement, piece of literature..."

You focus on many things - books, newspapers, internet communication, etc. - but the prompt is asking for another. I'm certainly not telling you to scrap your essay, but you have to work within the parameters they give you.

- - - - -
Also, can you take a look at mine?
OP anshikav 4 / 19  
@maryp630 Thanks! I did do my WHy NYU essay and it's up here but its a closed thread since i could only have two open! That one took me a while too. I'm trying to submit tonight latest!

@Kielbasy I was kinda banking on the "method of communication" part of the question but I see your point! I'll deff take a look at yours :)
hamzaobaid 2 / 9  
The essay seems pretty good :) . Btw i have a qustion . I'm applying for NYU aswell and can I write about a sport which intrigues me ? Please reply.

P.S would you mind giving my essay a read ?
OP anshikav 4 / 19  
i dont really think sport fits under the categories...maybe event? I'm not totally sure...
I'll definitely check out your essay though :)

Home / Undergraduate / 'instant information' - NYU SUPPLEMENT- What intrigues you?