Instead of chosing IIT - my country's best institute - I want apply to MIT

veenap 1 / -  
prompt: Describe the world you come from; for example, your family, clubs, school, community, city, or town. How has that world shaped your dreams and aspirations?

essay:"I want to apply to MIT."I told my parents one Sunday. They were surprised by my decision. Nobody we knew ever went to MIT or had applied to it. I was almost positive that I would get into IIT- my country's best institute, but I wanted to apply to MIT. At first my parents did not quiet comply with it but being the most supportive parents they are, they eventually agreed.

While applying for MIT I came across two sets of people: One who supported me in my decision and helped me in whichever way they could, like my parents; others who thought that applying to MIT was a bad decision and eventually I wouldn't be able to get admissions in MIT or IIT. But what both these sets of people did was that they inspired me to work harder. For the first set of people I had to match their expectations. While for the second set of people I just wanted to prove them wrong. So I worked harder and more diligently. I am not sure if I will be selected to MIT neither have I given my IIT exams but I am really content with my decision because I dared to dream irrespective of what people had to say. All this motivated me and I have learnt so many new things in this past year.
anfernee 6 / 19 13  
Trust me. MIT does not want you to write all about "I love MIT" stuff in this essay. You should know that the prompt asks for a response about how your environment has made you as a person. It seems childish that after about 18 years, your family, clubs, schools, communities just make you a person who wants to go to MIT. Please, write something interesting, special and personal. The admission committee already knows your love about MIT. So, tell them what distinguishes you as a strong applicant they want to admit.
kerry2654 13 / 37 12  
Though MIT is a dream of yours, you should focus on how your environment influenced your career goals. What do you want to do at MIT? What do you want to major in? What is your dream profession? How did you decide that?

Home / Undergraduate / Instead of chosing IIT - my country's best institute - I want apply to MIT