Intellectual, athletic, cultural, social interests apart from medicine

indianajones 1 / 2  
Hey Everyone...

I'm trying to write a personal statement and need to answer this question.

"intellectual, athletic, cultural and social interests apart from medicine".

I am having so much trouble trying to start it and what to include... please help!!!!
redsox34 2 / 10  
How can we help if we don't know your outside interests/extra cirriculars?
OP indianajones 1 / 2  
Opps... you are right...

Intellectual - world events, climate changes

Athletic - played sports growing up, mostly watch them now

Cultural - Musicals, Movies, Travelling the world (learning new cultures, new foods)

Social - Have wine/cheese gatherings, bbq's

Basically I just need a starting point to put everything together
This is an opportunity to recreate yourself. Think of all the values you cherish, the issues about which you are very opinionated and passionate... and think of how your interests reflect those passions. Let this be an essay about an aspiring physician whose kaleidoscope of interests reflect deeply valued personal principles... let the essay begin with a sentence about something you stand for.

Don't write about movies or wine and cheese gatherings.

:-)
OP indianajones 1 / 2  
Writing is not one of my strongest subjects. Can you please help me edit/re-write this? I also need transition sentences from paragraph to paragrah.

As a young child growing up, sports and athletics have been an important positive influence in my life. My parents encouraged me to play sports both for fun and competitively. I can still remember those cold Canadian winter days playing street hockey with the boys into the late hours of the night. Baseball soon followed as the weather became warmer and the days became longer. I played a lot of sports from basketball, hockey, baseball to tennis and running. Running gave me mental strength and taught me to push my body harder than I had ever thought possible. Tennis is the sport that I long for enjoying throughout my life. I have played tennis for more than 15 years. I had been a member of tennis team in high school as well as captain of our school team. My greatest accomplishment was during my 2nd year at university. Never having rowed in my life, working and training really hard would pay off as I had the honor of rowing for and representing the university. Sports showed me the importance of good teamwork, and how we can teach and learn from each other.

The first thing I do each morning is grab my coffee and read the morning news. I have a great interest in keeping up to date with world issues. I learned that what happens around the world does affect me and I need to become more politically aware of these issues. I love learning new information that stimulates questions and endures my curiosities. I am always looking to challenge my mind and grow intellectually as a person.

I love to travel and learn about new cultures, learn new traditions and their ways of life. England, Poland, Paris, India and the United States are just a few of the places the many places I have seen. I still have my whole life to see the rest of the world. Having lived in Canada my whole life, it was a rewarding experience when I had the opportunity to attend medical school in the Caribbean. It made me appreciate the little things we have and are fortunate for. While there I learned about a new culture and way of life that I never knew existed. When I'm not travelling the world, you can find me at the latest movie in town or watching one of my favourite artists in concert
Well, the first paragraph is solid. It begins with a clear assertion, you explain it, and then you reflect on it at the end. It is excellent composition.

Your last paragraph is this: Sports showed me the importance of good teamwork, and how we can teach and learn from each other.-----> So, the first sentence of the next paragraph -- which talks about a love of learning -- should touch it a little, like this:

Sports showed me the importance of good teamwork, and how we can teach and learn from each other.
(new paragraph)
Teaching and learning as I interact with reality serves as a source of satisfaction for me. The first thing I do each morning is grab my coffee and read the morning news.

You have to be creative to segue into a new idea! :-)

Home / Undergraduate / Intellectual, athletic, cultural, social interests apart from medicine