Intellectual Development Stanford Supplement, "Mom in the Hospital"

djpralex 5 / 10  
Thank you for reading my response to "Stanford students possess an intellectual vitality. Reflect on an idea or experience that has been important to your intellectual development."

Life had never been as scary as it was in January of 2009. My mom had a serious allergic reaction to a medication her doctor prescribed and she was hospitalized for three weeks. The doctors at first could not diagnose her condition; ultimately, an allergy specialist came and diagnosed her as having an allergic reaction to Penicillin. To be with her, I often went to the hospital after school and one thing I recall most clearly is hearing my dad discuss with my aunt how he was going to sue the doctor. My mom, however, told us that it is not worth it to sue the doctor because he had worked his whole life to earn his degree and over a simple mistake, she shouldn't take his career away, or ruin his reputation. The moment she said that to us I realized how crucial it is to pay attention to every little detail in life, such as how I do work in school, how I talk to others, and even how I handle myself in any given situation. This made me realize that proofreading my essays, thinking before speaking to others, and being apprehensive instead of impulsive in my daily decisions are all very important for my success in life. Through this experience in the hospital, I have learned to be more careful with my choices and that the decisions I make are to be made after thorough consideration of every little detail. From the reasoning my mom made on her hospital bed, I have found myself double checking my answers in school and improving my test grades because I have prevented myself from making unnecessary errors like the one my mother's doctor could have averted. This family emergency has taught me to be more focused on my work so that I do not falter in my values, like my grades, that I have been so determined to uphold.
12lewisa 1 / 9  
Okay there are several things I both like and dislike in this essay.

I like the narrative story that you begin with and it is a beautiful lesson that your mother gives you. Additionally, your reaction to it is very well written and introspective.

However--I don't see the connection between the two. Why does your mom being merciful to a doctor teach you that you have to check your answers on a test? Also, the prompt is asking about your intellectual/academic development and i feel that you are talking more about personal development. Im a bit confused.

Home / Undergraduate / Intellectual Development Stanford Supplement, "Mom in the Hospital"