'Intellectual Engagement is a beast' - Bowdoin

karan11295 5 / 42  
Bowdoin students and alumni often cite world-class faculty and opportunities for intellectual engagement, the College's commitment to the Common Good, and the special quality of life on the coast of Maine as important aspects of the Bowdoin experience. Reflecting on your own interests and experiences, please comment on one of the following:

1. Intellectual engagement
2. The Common Good
3. Connection to place

Word Limit-250 words

Intellectual engagement is like a beast with a frenzied passion and a loping stride. He's fast and elusive, and I have been chasing him ever since I was old enough to use a screwdriver. When other children played with action figures, I pried motors out of toy cars; when they rolled Monopoly dice, I made little battery powered boats. Seeking something that challenges my mind has led me to perform magic and study advanced physics. Thus Bowdoin, which seems like the beast's watering hole, holds sway in my heart and my mind. The physics nut inside me would love to hear Dr Dale Syphers' ideas on application of physics to everyday life, especially his work on car accidents. I am also fascinated by the 3+2 engineering program that Bowdoin offers, which would provide me the opportunity to both 'think' and 'do'. I plan to wrestle and grapple with the beast for the next four years at Bowdoin.
mimo486 1 / 3  
When you say beast, you make it sound as if it is something to be scared of and fought with instead of something to enjoy and to have fun with. The examples are really nice but the tone is way too serious. GREAT ESSAY! but find a substitute for the beast part.
OP karan11295 5 / 42  
So would animal sound better?

Home / Undergraduate / 'Intellectual Engagement is a beast' - Bowdoin