Intellectual vitality / Roommate / Good place - My Stanford Essays - 250 words

ItsokaytoGaga 15 / 96  
Prompt 1 : Stanford students are widely known to possess a sense of intellectual vitality. Tell us about an idea or an experience you have had that you find intellectually engaging.

If I could talk everything about something that excites me intellectually, a box with an 1800 character limit would be like trying to hold all the water falling down the Niagara Falls in one minute in a bathtub.

If I must, I would go on rambling about how my mind drifts away in a world of its own when posed questions about life on Earth.

How did life come here? How did Earth become the perfect mixture of conditions necessary for life? Was it mere chance or was it designed? If it was mere chance then are we the only ones in the Universe? If not, is the theory about 'Intelligent Design' a plausible explanation to the unknown appearance and development of life on Earth? Could it be possible that life exists elsewhere beyond the safe niches of Earth?

Questions like these and more endlessly gnaw at my brain. Sometimes I find it difficult to utilize my time on the internet wisely because I squander off to find possible means to find answer my questions. However, these questions give me more than mere food for thought. They challenge on various levels - as a philosopher, a dreamer and as an aspiring biologist. If I could get answers to my questions without rummaging my brain, it would be too mundane. These questions make me want to work harder. They keep me going. In Einstein's words - "He, who no longer pauses to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead".

Prompt 2: Virtually all of Stanford's undergraduates live on campus. Write a note to your future roommate that reveals something about you or that will help your roommate - and us - know you better.

Hello future roommate,

It is strange to look at a blank box to fill it with information for a person I am yet to meet.
I am a Maharashtrian, born in South India, and raised all over India. Due to my father's transferable job I found myself moving state to state, calling each place my home. Although tiresome, the nomadic start to my early life helped me adapt to a number of environments in my own country. Different languages, different food, different festivals but one culture, helped me obtain clarity in being part of a country which is a tapestry of innumerable varied traditions.

However, living in a cosmopolitan city has broadened my outlook and I have learnt to mould myself into any possible situation or scenario that is outside my comfort zone. It has allowed me to further cultivate my tastes to a world beyond my immediate surroundings. Although, it seemed odd to many people to find Argentine tango composer Astor Piazzolla's masterpieces in the same playlist as Lady Gaga's eccentric music, put together with a bunch of Korean pop songs(I don't understand Korean; isn't music a language itself?)

Raised with strong family bonds, it took me great amount of courage to step outside the comfort of my family and consider education in the United States. I look forward to this as a fortifying and enriching experience that will make me a better person.

Anyway, be sure to keep your chocolates stacked away from me if possible.

Prompt 3 : Tell us what makes Stanford a good place for you.

I am not a person with limited interests. It was never difficult for me to cope with the rigors of the science curriculum yet be an active part of the school theater and dance community or participate in various poetry or debating events. To me education is not just about mere learning; it's about a holistic approach that allows a person to find many interests without stereotyping himself to a particular group; while also helping the individual to harness a deep and extensive understanding of his intended field of study. Unfortunately, my high school failed to give me this.

At Stanford, I feel I shall be awarded with ample opportunities to become part of the holistic learning experience and imbibe from it. I see myself exploring the School of Humanities and Sciences not just to cultivate my deep interest in Biology but also make an attempt to probe my talent in the Drama and Dance departments. I look forward to the prospects of meeting Professor William Gilly and learning from the 'Holistic Biology' course. Maybe a research or leaning prospect at the Hopkin's Marine Station would make my experience at Stanford all the more enriching.

Stanford is the perfect platform for me to challenge myself and achieve my maximum potential. I look forward to becoming a part of the diverse Californian community that Stanford is a part of. Hopefully make a place and home in it whilst also earning a name for myself and becoming an individual with greater understanding of the world.

Thanks so much for reading! Please leave a comment and tell me what you think about the essays! :-)

Were they interesting?
jwwm 1 / 3  
Very interesting. I like prompt 2 a lot. You showed what kind of person you are instead of telling it straight to the face. e.g. "Anyway, be sure to keep your chocolates stacked away from me if possible." Very well put. =)
OP ItsokaytoGaga 15 / 96  
Thanks Joyce! :)

I would appreciate some more help and feedback people.
Thank you. :)
If I could discuss everything about what excites me intellectually, using a box with an 1800 character limit would be like trying to hold all the water falling down the Niagara Falls in one minute in a bathtub.----I like this intro!! I just wanted to clean it up a little for you.

Capitalize:
Questions like these and more endlessly gnaw at my brain. Sometimes I find it difficult to utilize my time on the internet Internet wisely, because I squander wander off to find possible means to find answers to my questions.

In an opening salutation of a letter, capitalize all words:
Hello Future Roommate,

It is strange ...
I like the roommate essay a lot!

I look forward to becoming a part of the diverse Californian community associated with Stanford.---- This was awkward, so I simplified.

You are great! Yes, these are interesting.

Home / Undergraduate / Intellectual vitality / Roommate / Good place - My Stanford Essays - 250 words