Intellectual Vitality - Stanford "Supreme Court Project"

Michael48304 8 / 31  
"Stanford students are widely known to possess a sense of intellectual vitality. Tell us about an idea or an experience you have had that you find intellectually engaging."

Mr. Sugg, my AP American Government teacher, launched into a speech about our upcoming project. I groaned. "A project after the AP test? Come on, Mr. Sugg!" He continued, explaining that each of us had to research a prominent U.S. Supreme Court case and deliver a presentation. At first, I was unexcited, to say the least, viewing it as busy work and a waste time before summer vacation. I was indeed surprised to find that it was one of my most enjoyable high school academic experiences.

My case, New Jersey vs. T.L.O., revolves around the legality of a purse search at a high school. At first glance, the case frustrated me. I am a relentless proponent of individual rights and the court declared the search constitutional, a decision with which I disagreed. I wanted to find out why. I was fortunate to have the use of my father's legal resources. I researched and read all of the lower, appellate and Supreme court majority and dissenting opinions. Ultimately, I found that I actually agreed with the majority's logic in upholding the search.

The assignment not only piqued my interest in the law, it also taught me a valuable lesson: what at first seems obvious is not always so. As the cliché goes, "there is more to it than meets the eye." I stepped back to evaluate my viewpoint and realized I had made an error in my initial assessment. I take pride in my ability to reason, and this assignment epitomized the kind of intellectual conundrum I relish.

Short and sweet. It is a few words over so if there are any unnecessary words, please advise me about them. Thanks in advance.
oceans123 - / 2  
i dig it! you could maybe take out "to say the least", "glance"
would you mind reading my essay?
cheers!
OP Michael48304 8 / 31  
Thanks a lot, took them out.
I am a relentless proponent of individual rights, and the court declared the search constitutional, a decision with which I disagreed.---this is a very well structures sentence!

Capitalize:
As the cliché goes, "There is more to it than ...

Awesome!! You did a great job. I think the reader will be so refreshed to read about a student who found out she was wrong.All adults feel that kids seldom can notice when their opinion was wrong. You approached this very well.

Home / Undergraduate / Intellectual Vitality - Stanford "Supreme Court Project"