'Being intelligent, excited, and eccentric' - Brown Engineering supplement

Ahndrahdee 2 / 6  
1. Many applicants to college are unsure about eventual majors. What factors led you to your interest in Engineering? (Feel free to elaborate on your response to question 2.)

2. What experiences beyond school work have broadened your interest?
3. Brown offers ABET accredited programs in Biomedical, Chemical and Biochemical, Computer, Electrical, Materials, and Mechanical Engineering. Engineering-Physics is offered as a non-ABET accredited degree. Aerospace, Environmental, and Structural Engineering can also be pursued within the six core ABET accredited disciplines. Since there is a common core curriculum within Engineering, students need not select a specific area until their junior year. We are curious to know, however, if any particular program within Engineering presently appeals to you. If so, please discuss that choice. (For more information: Brown Academics - Engineering)

Science has always interested me, from growing a bean stalk in a cup, to determining the perfect way to safely encase an egg on its two story descent. I relish being able to explain why things happen, things I never knew had a reason. I also love puzzles, and solving difficult problems. My friends come to me with their relationship issues, computer problems, and car troubles, because they know I won't stop thinking about it until I find a solution. Engineering will allow me to indulge my childlike wonder, satiate my curiosity, and enhance my problem solving skills. I can't wait until I am able to live and work in that constant state of fascination.

When I interviewed engineers for ISM, they never failed to be intelligent, excited, and eccentric. Engineers from every field were problem solvers just like me, and relentlessly encouraged me to pursue engineering. The contentment and satisfaction with which they talked about their job was intoxicating. It truly wasn't work to them, it was paid playtime. They have helped me realize that want to delve into the Biomedical Engineering, particularly the 3D organ printing. A machine like that would save my grandmother so much worry. I am currently on a search to find a willing Biomedical Engineer as my mentor to gain real world application experience. Together we will create a product that I will present to a group of interested people at the end of the year to better inform the public of exactly what a Biomedical Engineer does.

I am particularly excited about the Student Project Teams at the College of Engineering, because so much of science is dealt in collaboration while competing against other organizations. The Project Teams are an excellent chance to experience that aspect of engineering. I myself would try to join the Genetically Engineered Machines team and help them in the Jamboree competition, while exercising my understanding in biological systems.
katev 18 / 120 24  
1) Good start, but many majors allow one to be curious. How has your experience with solving relationships and puzzles led you specifically to science? Math is curious. History is curious. Why are you curious about science?

2) This

A machine like that would save my grandmother so much worry

seems pretty out of place. If you mention this, then you have to at least explain why your grandmother would be worried.

3) Is this a specific program in their Engineering field? I thought it meant something along the lines of "Biomedical engineering" etc...
OP Ahndrahdee 2 / 6  
katev
1. You are absolutely right, I'm making assumptions about my audience again.
2. I don't know if I should take that out or elaborate.
3. The team project is a program at Brown that I find appealing, but I can see what you mean. The "choice" of biomedical engineering, and not some team.

Thank You!

Home / Undergraduate / 'Being intelligent, excited, and eccentric' - Brown Engineering supplement