interaction between teacher and student - Johns Hopkins Undergrad essay

alromeo 1 / -  
Johns Hopkins University was founded in 1876 on a spirit of exploration and discovery. As a result, students can pursue a multi-dimensional undergraduate experience both in and outside of the classroom. Given the opportunities at Hopkins, please discuss your current interests-academic or extracurricular pursuits, personal passions, summer experiences, etc.-and how you will build upon them here. (300-500 Word limit).

I first heard about Johns Hopkins University from my College Counselor. The enthusiasm with which he spoke about this institution greatly captivated my imagination. This lead me to further research, only to unearth the wonderful setting JHU offers, which, in my opinion, builds the foundation for a great learning atmosphere. The relatively small population excites me. Being as it is, not only does it allow more one on one interaction between teacher and student - for which I hear, the professors are very willing, but it also fosters a sense of family. The cultural diversity often spoken of JHU has also ministered to my interests. It is of my concern to learn about other cultures, which I am sure will be a great attribute to my social development.

I plan to major in mechanical engineering with aerospace concentration at JHU. Huge featherless mechanical birds have long fascinated me! Throughout high school, I keenly paid attention to the areas of science which I knew were required, while not forgetting literature. Early in my college search, I discovered that I prefer liberal arts colleges to larger universities. Johns Hopkins however, although not a liberal arts college, the uniqueness of its atmosphere allows the academic experience at Hopkins to be highly personalized, similar to that of a small liberal arts college, but with all the amenities and opportunities of a larger research institution. Students have the best of both worlds! The flexible nature of their curriculum incapacitates students to become more creative, and enhances their critical thinking and communication skills. I will use this to my advantage; not neglecting my other areas of interest. In high school I participated in inter-school soccer competitions for several seasons. To say the least, it is also my passion to be an asset of Johns Hopkins soccer team, which I wish to see flourish. I dear not forget to mention Hopkins' remarkable international study abroad program which is highly spoken of. I aspire to be a part of this program, not only for my personal maturation, but also to be an addition to the collection of distinct well-rounded graduates Johns Hopkins has produced.

I believe Hopkins will nourish me to excel at my very best, both academically and socially. Consequently, I will be able to offer to this noble institution my greatest yet contribution of talents.
cag18 2 / 6 2  
Overall the content is good.

"Early in my college search, I discovered that I prefer liberal arts colleges to larger universities." - I feel you should take that sentence away

"Johns Hopkins however, although not a liberal arts college, the uniqueness of its atmosphere allows the academic experience at Hopkins to be highly personalized, similar to that of a small liberal arts college, but with all the amenities and opportunities of a larger research institution. "- Here you should take away the "however", put a coma after John Hopkins and after" although not a liberal arts college, " you should write "has the"

Im not sure if here "I dear not forget to mention Hopkins' remarkable international study abroad program " you meant dare instead of dear????
OccamsRazor - / 6 5  
i would suggest you focus some more on your specific interest and relate them to what John Hopkins has to offer. Your focus right now is too much on what John Hopkins can give you. Otherwise it is a good essay

Home / Undergraduate / interaction between teacher and student - Johns Hopkins Undergrad essay