'interest lies in Economics' - Northwestern Supp Essay

abck300 4 / 10  
What are the unique qualities of Northwestern - and of the specific undergraduate school to which you are applying - that make you want to attend the University? In what ways do you hope to take advantage of the qualities you have identified?

In 2006 Northwestern Commencement, President Obama stood on the platform and read a passage from the scripture that says, "When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I felt as a child, and I thought as a child. But now that I've become a man, I put away childish things." When I began my college research, I knew that I was looking for a school that will teach me how to be a grown up: a school that will teach me how to think, how to care for the world, and how to contribute my knowledge for the benefit of the communities. Northwestern perfectly fulfills every aspect I'm searching for in a college. At Northwestern, my education will not be something to get out of the way, but something to be enjoyed and celebrated with a sense of purpose.

My primary academic interest lies in Economics, which makes Northwestern an exceptionally appealing choice. With the world-class education that Northwestern's economics department offers, I know I will acquire valuable knowledge in the area. I will always be at ease, knowing that I'm under the guidance of distinguished researchers in the field. After all, it's a school where the president is an economist and teaches undergraduates. Apart from economics, however, Northwestern will also let me acquaint myself with various disciplines, thus discovering the intellectual treasures of this world. It's a valuable opportunity to take advantage of, since I've spent past five years in a school with very limited course choices.

While the academics at Northwestern are breathtaking, what drew me even more was the research opportunity for undergraduates. I am particularly interested in researching the trend of income inequality in U.S and its causes. Within the campus, I will be able to make use of the abundant resources that the school provides, including over five million volumes that libraries hold. Outside the campus, I will be able to conduct my research in Chicago, a city that has one of the world's most diversified economy, but also has a huge wage gap. I will be able to see with my eyes the conditions in U.S. and find the correlation between theoretical knowledge and the real life. I will definitely be able to find the purpose of my education through the various research opportunities.

The diverse community of Northwestern will also teach me how to be a grown up. I will make lifelong friendships with people who have walked different paths of life, share the stories, and unite under the common identity: Northwestern. I want to be surrounded by people who look different, think differently, and speak differently, yet all wear the purple sweatshirt that has Northwestern printed across. The community that Northwestern has to offer is simply amazing, and I will be honored to join.

Four years from now, I will be getting a diploma. If it happens to be one from Northwestern, I will be sure to know that it's much more than just a ticket for a career. It will mean that I've gone through four years of vibrant learning experiences, not just from lectures, but from every aspect, and that I've become a better person, a better global citizen.
GraceTaylorWei 12 / 41  
In 2006 during the Northwestern Commencement

and read a passage from the scripture that says,

Apart from economics, however,

a city that has one of the world's most diversified economy <--- should be plural

One last thing is that grown-up should be hyphenated or substituted with a better word.

Overall your essay really showcases your solid writing skills. I'm sure AOs will be pleased to review this.

Take a look at my UChicago Fav Things Essay? :)
mendoza123 1 / 8  
Great essay! I like how you started with the quote which i believe is a very powerful quote. you mentioned being grown up twice and i think it would be better if you combined them. its evident that you did your research on Northwestern and i think that they will be impressed with that. You also specified where you want to study and why and how you would apply that in the future which i think is excellent. i truly believe that you will be able to get in.

Overall great essay. If you could please revise and help me with mine i would appreciate it!
Good Luck!
msaenz 2 / 4  
This was really good. I don't know if what you said there is true, but if it is not I fell for it completely. Every sentence has so much passion. The only thing that I would consider changing personally is trying to connect Obama's quote to the end. But if you do not like it, do not because after all it is you who is applying and not me!

Good luck at Northwestern be ready to study your butt off!

Home / Undergraduate / 'interest lies in Economics' - Northwestern Supp Essay