'Interest and love for business' - Field of intended study - Columbia

mzontario 9 / 43  
For applicants to Columbia College, please tell us what from your current and past experiences (either academic or personal) attracts you specifically to the field or fields of study that you noted in the Application Data section. If you are currently undecided, please write about any field or fields in which you may have an interest.

Ever since I could remember, I had a passion and intention to study business. I grew up surrounded by computer screens decorated with red and green numbers and jagged lines. Turns out, my dad was an avid stock trader, and I became the twelve year old who explained bonds and dividends to anyone who would listen.

When I enrolled into the International Business and Technology Program and began to take courses in marketing, finance, and entrepreneurship, the intricate workings of the global economy interested me and my love for business grew. SWOT analyses and equity statements felt pedestrian and writing business plans and participating in ventures became the norm.

In Grade 10, I joined DECA, a case-study based business competition in which I was a provincial finalist for two years and a leadership developer in Florida. DECA helped me realize that business is not merely memorizing information but also being able to effectively communicate and sell an idea. As an executive of my school's DECA as well as a student trustee who directly represents over 1.2 million Ontario students, I fell in love with the people side of business.

The world I came from exposed me to all the leadership opportunities and enjoyment that can be gained from my career aspirations. My upbringing, education, and DECA experience have all transformed my outlook on business, my career, and my life. At Columbia, I am confident I will gain the skills and character necessary to lead a company in the future.
thespoonguy 6 / 23 1  
hey, you should elaborate a little on the people side of business and why you love it. but apart from that its really good! best of luck :D
OP mzontario 9 / 43  
Thank you! The character limit is really frustrating.

I tried to talk about how I'm an exec / student trustee and that's why the ability to interact with people is something that really appeals to me.
Genieo 3 / 4 1  
Very detailed essay, even though I can tell you are being limited by the word count/ character count; it is still pretty solid.
briannalawson3 2 / 4  
it was very detailed and kept me interested. I really liked the opening. I agree try to expand more on what DECA taught you
weeyizhi /  
Hi. Instead of listing everything you've done, I think it's better to show us what you did in a particular activity. Then, proceed to show how that activity taught you some lessons or intensified your passion. Good luck =)

Home / Undergraduate / 'Interest and love for business' - Field of intended study - Columbia