"Interest in math, science, or engineering" - Caltech: your interest in science

ali_cheif 6 / 13  
Its 387 words long. Is that too short.
Does it successfully answer the question?
Any suggestions are welcome.

Interest in math, science, or engineering manifests itself in many forms. Caltech professor and Nobel Laureate Richard Feynman (1918-1988) explained, 'I'd make a motor, I'd make a gadget that would go off when something passed a photocell, I'd play around with selenium'; he was exploring his interest in science, as he put it, by 'piddling around all the time.' In a page, more or less, tell the Admissions Committee how you express your interest, curiosity, or excitement about math, science or engineering.

I have bungee jumped. I have gone rock climbing. I have done extreme skiing and I once spent two nights in a cave full of bats, but nothing comes close to the sensation that comes with understanding how this universe works and trying to improve that understanding.

My scientific curiosity is fed by the potential journey from impossible to improbable to fact. I would, and at times still do, dwell on the possibility of there existing scientific truth to some of the most interesting and mysterious ideas. I for example, have recently been thinking if most of the atom is empty space, then why is it that they cant pass through each other; more specifically Ernest Rutherford's golden foil experiment already demonstrates that they can; so the remaining question is that in what way is it possible to somehow neutralize the repulsive force between the protons of different elements so that they can pass through each other.

Because of the fact that Iran's high schools are severely under equipped when it comes to laboratory science, I usually find different ways to express my practical interest in science. On one such occasion, while I was researching the possibly of powering solar panels with artificial light, I managed to create an energy cycle that sustained illumination with the energy provided by illumination however, this was very short lived because the efficiency of the solar panels available was very low.

I think the main tool for understanding and applying physics, other than imagination, is mathematics. It's what gives us the perspective required to approach most scientific problems. It has taught me that there are infinite approaches to a particular problem. My marvel with mathematics, namely calculus, manifests itself in many ways, My volunteering as a calculus teacher at my high school being one of them. I also enjoy working my way through the apparent complexity some mathematical problems retain.

In my world, whether it's time travel or teleportation, the many worlds interpretation or the twin paradox, the possibilities are limitless as long as we perceive them to be. So in conclusion, I think that my scientific curiosity manifests itself in my attitude towards our universe; from its creation to its current beautifully balanced state.
hm1567 1 / 3  
Hi
Your Essay is a little short but not too short. For example if you want to be one page, the best way to evaluate the lenght of an essay is to write it in Times and Roman 12 font in Microsoft Word .
somewherefun 1 / 11  
Firstly, just wanted to thank you for critiquing my Yale supplement essay!

comes close to the sensation that comes

Just a personal preference of mine but I don't like when the same word is used twice is such proximity. Maybe change one of the "comes"?

dwell on the possibility of there existing scientific truth

Kind of confused by what this is saying... maybe rearrange it a bit?

the possibility of powering solar panels with artificial light,

illumination with the energy provided by illumination. However, this was very short lived because the efficiency of the solar panels available was very low.

manifests itself in many ways, My volunteering

This is probably a typo, but the m should be lowercased

Overall, this essay definitely conveys your love for mathematics and the sciences. A few grammatical mistakes and my personal preference when it comes to using the same words near one another aside, this shows your interests and is well written.

Good luck!

Home / Undergraduate / "Interest in math, science, or engineering" - Caltech: your interest in science