"my interest in technology and engineering" - University of Toronto Supplement

varzak 1 / -  
What has inspired you to pursue an engineering degree and why would you like to study at the University of Toronto?
What skills have you developed through your extra-curricular experiences that will support your future success as both a student and an engineer?
(3000 characters)

Growing up during the age of rapid technological progress, the reason for my interest in technology and engineering is quite evident. For as long as I can remember, I have been fascinated with the intricacies of technological innovations. My interest in engineering was sparked when I found an old musical box at home. I was fascinated by the cogs, ratchet lever and the other mechanical parts. I immediately took it apart and reassembled it, entranced by its elegant design. This awoke the dormant engineer in me and inspired me to delve deeper into the field.

As I entered High School I was introduced to even more aspects of engineering. I grew more interested in engineering as I read technological news and discovered the integral role that it plays in our lives. Participating in various Mathematical and Science Olympiads helped me develop the ability to think analytically and solve problems quickly, finding applications for theories I already knew. I was exposed to the field of Software and Electrical engineering when my team took part in the National round of the World Robotics Olympiad, designing and programming a pole climbing robot that would grab balls placed on top of the poles. We also made a robot that could paint rudimentary portraits for the competition. This experience allowed me to explore my strengths and work on my weaknesses. I learned how to design effective software that identified conditions accurately and how to build an efficient robot that would meet any requirements. Most importantly, this experience taught me the value of a good work ethic and the importance of cooperation within a team. These experiences not only instilled me with the ideals of teamwork, compromise and hard work, but also provided me with a valuable insight into engineering and inspired me to become an engineer.

In order to unlock my true potential and achieve my aim of becoming an engineer, I must be equipped with the appropriate knowledge and experience. I believe that the University of Toronto is the ideal place for me to develop the skills and knowledge that would aid me in becoming a successful engineer. The University of Toronto is the foremost engineering institution in Canada and I think that it is the perfect place for me to pursue my passion. I am drawn not only by the fact that the university is incorporated into the bustling metropolitan of Toronto, but also by the impressive and highly successful alumni and faculty. I am thus confident that the University of Toronto will help me grow intellectually and emotionally. Moreover, my academic interests and passions convince me that the University of Toronto is the best step towards my dream.

PLEASE GIVE ME SOME ADVICE AND ANY SUGGESTIONS?
I think you should say music box instead of musical box.
... old music box at home. I was...

Pretty good.. you told about disassembling and reassembling the music box in a story that is very intriguing.

do not capitalize high school:
As I entered High Schoo high school l I was introduced to...

You can get more specific about the kind of work you want to do as an engineer. What kinds of engineering are you most interested in, and will you have a specialization in a particular industry? Imagine that you have already completed school and worked for 10 years. What would you say about your career interests?

Get very specific about your goals. I think this is impressive already, though!

Home / Undergraduate / "my interest in technology and engineering" - University of Toronto Supplement