Interest letter to UChicago: "It has been a while since I received the deferral decision"

iloveyogurt 9 / 17 5  
After being deferred, this is a letter to update UChicago on my current activities and to show my continued interest. My problem is that it's way too long. There is not a specific word limit, but please help me cut as much as possible. Cut anything that you deem unnecessary.

Dear Admission Officer at UChicago,

It has been a while since I received the deferral decision from UChicago. I would like to provide some new progress of myself as well as my continued interest in attending University of Chicago.

I am on the alpine ski team again this year. I joined my school's varsity alpine ski team last year, though I had never put on a ski in my life. Starting by learning how to get up when I fell, I began to put weight on my skis, to constantly look up and look forward, to adjust my body posture and lean forward. I leaned into discomfort and uneasiness so I could beat them, and this is what I continue to do everyday. I believe the lessons that I learn from athletics and skiing are the most important: I may fall, but giving up is never a choice; I can always get up, persevere, push my limits, and finish the course.

I have also been investing a lot of my time working on a video project for Asian Student Alliance. Inspired by the "Why Chinese Students Don't Party" on Youtube, I am collecting from American students questions they have towards many International students, like why they are always studying, or why they speak only their native languages amongst themselves. I also used my blog and the Student Opinion section of the newspaper to solicit responses from students. This project has proven to be rewarding so far, because many commented that it provides a two-way communication for both American and international students.

In addition, I will present at the national conference of National Coalition of Girls' Schools a prior research on girls' academic self-confidence. Together with two other girls, we will be the only student presenters in history.

I continue to dream attending UChicago. I fell in love with literature in 10th grade. As I dug deeper into the study of literature, I became fascinated with sociological and cultural studies through the lens of literature. Since Com. Lit at UChicago examines a broad body of global "texts" (images, music, etc.), in combination with its focus on literary and cultural theories, it perfectly suits my desire for a theory-focused education in literary and cultural studies that don't ascribe to any form of ethnocentrism. Since I must deal with materials in its native language, I also want to reconnect with Chinese literary traditions. I also wish perfect my French skills through studying abroad, and venture into the field of Francophone literatures, which are previously unfamiliar to me. This interdisciplinary approach to learning and knowledge, as emphasized by the Core as well, makes learning the most exciting to me.

I also have a passion for social justice work, and UChicago's civic engagement with Chicago neighborhoods has truly impressed me. Volunteering is only one way to go about improving the surrounding community. I also plan to involve in sociological research, and understand the limitations educational opportunities for children across all cultures and socio-economic backgrounds in Chicago. Finally, I will take advantage of the Journalism internship opportunities to fuse my love of words and concern for social justice. It's both UChicago's passion for knowledge and the institution's ideology to "do good for the world," that matters to me.

Equipped with diverse cultural experiences, Chinese literary studies, and sociological research skills, and social work experiences, I want to eventually return to China and become a social advocate. Since China is a racially homogeneous society, and social studies are largely ignored in the Chinese education system, many native Chinese are ignorant towards multiculturalism. I want to write books in Chinese specifically on cultural diversity and gender issues, and to question disturbing social norms and push for changes in discriminatory social attitudes. Though I may find many surprises along this journey of intellectual discoveries and personal growths at UChicago, I believe it will shape me into the social reformer whom I have always dreamt of becoming.

Thank you for your time.

Best,
Heng Qin
niesaysi 16 / 290 85  
Starting by learning how to get up when I fell, I began to put weight on my skis, to constantly look up and look forward, and to adjust my body posture and lean forward.

I believe the lessons that I learned from athletics...

Com. Lit at UChicago --spell it out
which arewere previously unfamiliar...

Home / Undergraduate / Interest letter to UChicago: "It has been a while since I received the deferral decision"