Interest in working in the UN and Peace Corps/ NYU; Academic Interests

jfloyd1879 4 / 10  
NYU's global network provides students with hundreds of academic areas of interest for students to cultivate their intellectual curiosity and to help achieve their career goals. Whether you are entirely undecided about your academic plans or you have a definitive program of study in mind, what are your own academic interests? Feel free to share any thoughts on any particular programs or how you might explore those interests at NYU on any of our campuses.

Since I was born my academic interests have ranged from anthropology to zoology. I've probably given a hundred different responses to the question "what do you want to do when you're older?" For me, this was the hardest question in the world in answer. I could not understand how I was supposed to narrow my interests down to one field when it seemed that nearly everything interested me. I can enjoy learning about any area of study as I simply love learning, but there has been a few subjects which I find particularly intriguing. These subjects excite me beyond any other, and they will lead me to find my answer to that dreaded question. As my passion for psychology evolved, I discovered that these subjects are the social sciences. Being a keen observer of human behavior throughout my life, I became absorbed in the works of Pavlov, Skinner, and Watson as I sought to find meaning for my everyday observations. I also have been greatly influenced by humanistic psychology and Abraham Maslow's concept of self-actualization. Achieving my potential and helping others to reach their own has remained as an important purpose that I have set for myself. I find more joy in satisfying the needs of others over my own, so selecting the right university and program is extremely important to me in order to gain as much as I can to benefit others. It was my interest in the Communist Manifesto that led me to delve into the field of sociology where I found what I was longing to learn about the workings of society. Upon learning about the relationship between institutions and society, I've been compelled to study several fields within the social sciences which I feel can be utilized to provide humanity with longer, happier lives. These fields include international relations, human development, education, and social work. Needless to say, I was thrilled to read on the NYU website that students interested in these areas are best served by the applied psychology program at NYU Steinhardt. Designed as an interdisciplinary program to develop students to practice in a multicultural world, I feel that there is no better place to partake in this wonderful opportunity than in world's melting pot; New York City. My interest in globalization and education are even further supported by the university's minor in Global Education, which is rarely offered by universities. With an abundance of domestic and international NGO work, NYC would provide me with more than enough opportunities to do exactly what I wish to do. With an interest in working among the United Nations and Peace Corps, this is a huge opportunity for me. Through hands-on learning with distinguished faculty in a variety of work environments, I will gain the experience necessary to succeed in real-world endeavors. Moreover, I will have the plethora of resources of the prosperous city at my disposal, including the vast amount of internship and employment possibilities. Robust academic and career opportunities are not the only things that draw students in from all over the world, however. The luxury of having of the best service and entertainment options make the city an ideal place for any college student. After learning about what NYU has to offer me, I have found the answer to my question. I want to go to NYU.
awakemysoul 3 / 8 1  
Just letting you know this essay is way too long as it exceeds 3000 characters whereas the limit is 1500. Try shortening it!
ticklelisaelmo 8 / 42 3  
since you exceed the amt of characters,maybe you could leave out the beginning. just jump right into the social sci part.

Home / Undergraduate / Interest in working in the UN and Peace Corps/ NYU; Academic Interests