Essay about how my interests and experiences influenced my major selection

giants410 1 / -  
Prompt for cornell's college of agriculture and life sciences: How have your interests and related experiences influenced you selection major (biological science)

My major selection, Biological Science, interests me right away. From my childhood I have been intrigued by the medical field. This stems from the fact that both my mother and sister suffer from Osteogenisis Imperfecta most commonly know as brittle bone disease. Though they have the mildest case, I have witnessed the hardships, surgeries, and dilemmas that hamper their daily lives.

Biological Science is fascinating! It's life. I am interested in biology because I enjoy the natural world. Biology is about tons of aspects, from trees to cells to swamps to bugs. The more I learn the more I appreciate everything around me, and the more I question and realize just how little I know about the complexity of life. Through Cornell, the largest ivy league research institution with strengths in all areas of study I know that I will be granted the opportunity to research my interests and proceeding my undergraduate education have the satisfaction of saying that I can explain just a little part of life.

The college of Agriculture and Life Sciences engages in cutting edge research and technology transfer with the goal of improving the lives of people in the state, nation, and throughout the world. Knowing that Cornell has some of the top research labs in the nation I believe that throughout my four years at this university that I will pick up tactic information, keen insight and acumen for solving some of life's great mysteries and contributing to this goal.

My ultimate goal in life is to improve the lives of people in the world as well. Through the core priorities of the college of Agriculture and Life Sciences: Land Grant mission(s), Applied Social Sciences, Environmental Sciences and new life Sciences I believe that I will become a more well rounded and knowledgeable individual in the science department. I will be overtaken by an unexplainable rush as I learn from and participate with some of the best biological science teachers in the nation. These aspects of Cornell will be the building blocks of my journey towards my goal.

I have desired to be a part of Cornell University for as long as could remember because of the many opportunities that are available there. The College of Agriculture and Life Sciences will explain my interests in greater detail and prepare me so that I can attain my future aspirations. I understand that this is going to be a challenge but with my intellectual potential, strength of character, and love of learning I know that this is a challenge I am ready for.
Bad first sentence. Scrap the whole first paragraph, but tell about your mother and sister in paragraph 2.

Your 2nd paragraph makes an EXCELLENT first paragraph! However, name a particular aspect of biological science that is fascinating. I know there are many aspects you find interesting, but choose some so that the essay is not superficial.

I am overtaken by an unexplainable rush as I contemplate learning from and participate with some of the best biologists science teachers in the nation.

As you revise, look for opportunities to let them get a glimpse of your life as an aspiring biologist.

Good luck!!!

Home / Undergraduate / Essay about how my interests and experiences influenced my major selection