Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

'International Relations' + 'culturally diverse environment' - BU

glamport 3 / 3  
Why BU?-
I want to attend Boston University because of its global student body and reputation for excellence. I have looked at the syllabi for courses in International Relations and appreciate how rigorous they are. I know firsthand that BU graduates are well prepared for careers because my father went from BU to medical school to a thriving private practice. Because BU is highly selective, I expect to be challenged by exceptionally gifted classmates and world-renowned faculty. I am especially looking forward to taking classes from Professor Dunbar, because of his long tenure as a diplomat in the Middle East. Boston is the ideal place for me to attend college because of its rich history, many cultural amenities, and vibrant Jewish community.

Why is a culturally diverse environment important to you?-
What separates BU from many other colleges is the culturally diverse environment that surrounds the campus. The Census Bureau projects that by the year 2100 the US minority will become the majority with non-Hispanic whites making up only 40% of the population. As the US becomes more diverse, it is critical colleges reflect that diversity, and that students learn how to interact in a mixed environment. I believe that diversity is a crucial aspect of college life. Jean Snell, clinical professor of teacher education at the University of Maryland, believes cultural diversity enhances the school experience, too. "There is a richness that comes from students working side by side with others who are not of the same cookie-cutter mold," she says. I agree not only because I plan to study International Relations, but because college is about making new friendships, discovering different avenues, and exploring new things. Diversity makes this possible. Every year my family spends about two months in Israel; I love these family trips and look forward to further travel when I am older. I am very interested in participating in Boston University's Study Abroad programs. While I may not be able to visit every country I'd like to I know that attending BU will give me the opportunity to meet people from many different places on earth. In addition, exposure to diversity broadens one's outlook on life and others, making one more culturally and socially aware. Just by exploring BU, I can tell that this university will be able to offer me the culturally diverse experience I desire.

Home / Undergraduate / 'International Relations' + 'culturally diverse environment' - BU