International Youth Leadership Forum travel - UC Essay prompt #2

jedijessy91 2 / 1  
Can you please read my essay and tell me if I answered the prompt correctly? The prompt is:
"Tell us about a personal quality, talent, accomplishment, contribution or experience that is important to you. What about this quality or accomplishment makes you proud, and how does it relate to the person you are?"

Essay:

This last summer I traveled to China with the International Youth Leadership Forum and had the experience of a lifetime. I took advantage of this opportunity to broaden my knowledge of world affairs, and in return discovered a whole new world I had been blind to before. My field of study during the forum was international relations. I was able to witness firsthand the difficulty children and youths went through just to get an education. It was then that I realized how lucky a person I was. While those people had to sacrifice nearly everything to get somewhere in life, I am literally handed the foundation to success for free. I also saw how hard the people worked- doing anything and everything they could to make enough money to support themselves, yet they still manage to keep going. It made me appreciate all the 'normal' things in life that I take for granted.

Participating in this program opened my eyes to the reality of many people in the world, as well as to a new area of curiosity. Being exposed to their way of life opened a new door into my future. Every time I saw one of them trying to do something with their life, I wanted there to be something I could do to help them fulfill their dream. I wanted to give them advice, money, anything to aid their climb to triumph. I wanted them to know what it felt like to reach the top of the staircase, and be able to look back down and be proud of everything they had accomplished. Although I couldn't do much, the one thing I could do is make conversation. I would talk to them about what they do and learn in school, and compare it to what I do and learn in school. They told me that they go to school six days a week and have at least five or more hours of homework a day. This made me respect and admire them even more. I felt privileged to talk to someone who continued to take the road to achievement even though that road was up hill and rocky. Back at my school I usually help my friends with homework and give them advice and assurance, and talking to these Chinese students made me feel as if I was back at school advising my friends. It occurred to me that, just like my friends back home, maybe all these people need is a little boost of confidence that they can make it.

I am extremely grateful for being offered this experience. I apprehended an exceedingly amount of knowledge about other cultures and lifestyles from this trip. It also expanded my sense of support and guidance into unknown realms, and, I believe, thoroughly accomplished me as a person. I now plan to take what I have learned and use it to help other people, whether they are in my hometown or thousands of miles across the world.

thank you!
OP jedijessy91 2 / 1  
Hello,
I would really appreciate it if you could look over my essay and let me know if I answered the prompt correctly. Thank you very much!
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
Good afternoon :)

I believe you have answered the prompt effectively. You describe the experience as well as your transformation during it. You explain why it was important, and how it relates to the person you are now, after it. I think it is a fine answer!

Regards,
Gloria
Moderator, EssayForum.com

Home / Undergraduate / International Youth Leadership Forum travel - UC Essay prompt #2