Internship at the University of Technology PETRONAS; Cornell's Engineering

davinia 1 / 1  
Tell us about an engineering idea you have, or about your interest in engineering. Describe how your ideas and interests may be realized by - and linked to - specific resources within the College of Engineering. Finally, explain what a Cornell Engineering education will enable you to accomplish.

I held that tiny test tube, barely an inch long, against the dim lighting. Suddenly all the weeks of arduous and time-consuming tasks were justified; I made that. I realized in terms of contribution to science it did not qualify as anything remotely spectacular, but somehow I felt a sense of gratification.

It all started when I began reading Bill Bryson's "A Short History of Nearly Everything". Months after I was still plagued by disbelief and awe. There were countless scientists and engineers who selflessly devoted their lives towards the betterment of society and advancing of science, with only a few of them appreciated or remembered for their contributions, some tragically acknowledged only after their demise. Clair Patterson for example sacrificed a lifetime towards the banning of leaded petrol. He did not receive a Nobel Prize and was relatively unknown, and yet we all owe our good health to him. I could not fathom the intensity of passion that led these men to sacrifice all for the sake of science, yet I yearned to possess such passion for a field.

Curious as I was, I decided to apply for a chemical engineering internship at the University of Technology PETRONAS. I was accepted for a stint of a month at the chemical engineering department during my holidays. I decided to study the factors affecting the synthesis of biodiesel. I was incredibly positive at first; I had a rare opportunity to conduct research with absolute freedom and limitless resources. Unfortunately, my sparse laboratory skills acquired from the few experiments my high school could provide did not suffice, and I was feeling inadequate when the experiment failed repeatedly. I questioned the very point of my research. Despite that, something was nagging at me, and the idea of abandoning my research was painful. So I pulled myself together, and kept going with the help of many research/thesis books, finally succeeding after the umpteenth try.

I am still unable to identify what lies silently in the minds of these humble figures I admire, driving them to success with unwavering determination. All I know is that when I held that vial of biodiesel to be analysed using gas chromatography, I oddly enough felt like I had a reason to be here. At Cornell I believe I will acquire a holistic education in order to achieve this purpose. Not only will I be taught by incredible talented lecturers, but I will also have a chance to be immersed in a stimulating atmosphere of research and science. Cornell's affiliation with research especially in engineering is attractive since I will be able to develop myself into a savvy engineer with real-world skills. Even at an Undergraduate level I will have opportunities to hone these skills and apply my engineering knowledge in research and projects. Cornell's hands-on approach towards engineering and science is engaging and befitting for someone like me, who is active and scientifically curious.
admission2012 - / 477 90  
Hello,

Really well written essay. To make this essay stronger, you should try to draw a comparison between the lack of resources available at your high school to those that will be available at Cornell. So instead of just saying Cornell is great especially for engineering, talk about a specific lab there that you cannot wait to explore. We can help. - AAO/final-check

Hope this helps.
OP davinia 1 / 1  
Yea, I figured I had to focus on Cornell's specific resources. Thanks a bunch! :)

Home / Undergraduate / Internship at the University of Technology PETRONAS; Cornell's Engineering