'intriguing ideas with me' - Stanford - Roommate Letter

stargirlpanda 2 / 2  
Prompt: "Virtually all of Stanford's undergraduates live on campus. Write a note to your future roommate that reveals something about you or that will help your roommate - and us - know you better"

I am not sure if I need to describe my habits more, or write more about my personal characteristics. This is about 150 characters over the limit.

Thanks and please be as critical as possible :)

Happy Holidays!

Dear roommate,

I am pleased to hear that we will be sharing a room. Let me break the ice by introducing myself. My name is Elena Georgieva. The last name is from Bulgaria, a small country with a very rich history in Western Europe. I moved to Lompoc, California, about 8 years ago. I think you will find that I will bring a unique mix of cultures to our room. You won't notice an accent in my English, and I love celebrating the Fourth of July, but I also celebrate March by hanging traditional red-and-white ornaments, and I like to cook Bulgarian foods.

I grew up in a single parent household, with a younger brother and sister, so I am no stranger to taking on responsibilities. Organization is not my strongest attribute, but I pride myself with always knowing where things, and ideas, are, even if my method of organization doesn't make sense to others. However, don't confuse unsystematic with messy, I like to keep clean.

I am majoring in Engineering, so it's no surprise that I love to take things apart and see how they work, from computers to blenders to music boxes. I love reading, especially scientific material, so I am going to have to ask you to tolerate the magazines and books that will undoubtedly be around in large quantities. When I am reading, good luck trying to get my attention, because I completely immerse and usually lose track of the real world. Otherwise, I am a very active person, be it camping, swimming, running, skiing, or hiking, I am up for it. In fact, my first camping trip was before my first birthday and I learned to ski when I was five. Since Lompoc is a very small community, there is not much extracurricular activities, so I will be taking advantage of the many student organizations, especially if they involve volunteer work and community service.

I suppose my friends would say that I am friendly, and I usually bring quirky, but intriguing ideas with me. Though I am often sarcastic and joke a lot, I know when it is time to be serious and tackle problems according to priority. I hope we will get to know each other well soon and look forward to sharing a room with you.

Yours sincerely,
Elena Georgieva
DesiGirl 9 / 52  
I really like it! It's cute and funny! And it definitely displays your interests, especially through subtle detail instead of directly stating them. Great job :)

Home / Undergraduate / 'intriguing ideas with me' - Stanford - Roommate Letter