'introduction to Jazz' - UC prompt 2

shutterbutter92 2 / 3  
Taking my seat in front the clamor of an audience conversing and drinking always stirs a jittery and electrified feeling within me. I however; am not in midst of the audience, I prefer my seat to be on stage. The scenario is always similar, I take my seat behind the drums as a guitarist, pianist, bassist, and saxophone player take the stand. After a brief piano introduction, which sets the pace and feeling of the piece, the saxophonist and guitarist establish a melody supported by myself, the bassist, and pianist. As the musicians navigate through the initial melodic structure, one performer will step forward to share his creative declaration. In order to participate in their musical proclamation, we must follow the twists and turns of the solo while simultaneously registering their actions with other musicians. While following the harmonic framework of the song, the soloist can choose to weave a melodically complex tapestry with acute orchestrations or take a visceral approach to it and play sparse and rhythmically intense notes. In comparison with more popular genres of music in modern culture, Jazz possesses the unique characteristics of dialogue, improvisation, and instinct. Jazz, and music for that matter is a form of art and all forms of art require empathy. As an artist I am improvising in that moment and as jazz legend John Coltrane once put it, "My music is the spiritual expression of what I am- my faith, my knowledge, my being". From my first introduction to Jazz, I developed a bias toward it and specifically drums. I am fortunate that I have had the opportunity to use this medium of expression for the last couple years of my life. I've been lucky to be part of one of the most prestigious high school music programs and also to attend camps at Stanford University where I was able to play with and learn from some of the most talented performers and educators of the Jazz idiom. Jazz has instilled several important values that are applicable to not only music; hard work, passion, originality, discipline, and empathy. I have employed these universal traits in everything from social to academic situations. Even if the prospects of becoming an acclaimed musician do not come to fruition, as is the case for most people, I can always take with me all of the lessons and memories that this art form has instilled in me.
melanieleng 2 / 3  
I like the "prefer my seat to be on stage". Gives you character :)
onioninlay 1 / 3  
I agree with melanieleng.

Home / Undergraduate / 'introduction to Jazz' - UC prompt 2