"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest"; SOP for UK universities

umer43646001 1 / -  
I grew up in an environment where education was not taken seriously. No one ever stressed me to study, prepare for my exams etc.. My parents, most of my close uncles and other relatives are not very much educated. They went into business early and my parents thought of doing the same with me.

"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest" by Benjamin Franklin. This particular quotation has always inspired me. I have always believed that education is the most powerful tool that can change the way you look at the world. When I was in grade seven, my father suffered a huge loss in his business and we almost got bankrupt. That was a major turning point in my life; I did not know whether my father's business would even last or not. Luckily it did but I still knew that I could not just rely on my father's business for the rest of life.

So I started taking education more seriously. I knew that I had to secure my future on my own. I started taking interest in my studies and excelled in it; I secured top position in computer studies in my school in 02. At that time, however, I had no aims; I did not know what I want to become in future. So I started "building up" my aims, my goals, what I want my life to be in future. I started to find myself, figured out which work I like doing the most. I had science subjects in my O and A levels and I liked doing Physics and Maths. This is the reason I took Further Maths in my A level. With these subjects I could pursue engineering as a career and I opted for electrical engineering. Electrical devices have changed our lives, they have had a great impact on us. We cannot live without over mobile phones, our laptops etc..About 20 years back this lifestyle may just have been a dream. When I was young, I used to open my toys and see how it functions, how the motor in the toy cars work, what will happen if I break the wires etc.. When I got my first computer, I opened its CPU and saw the structure, all the wires tangles up. I used to reassemble the wires, sometimes placing them in the wrong slot! Electronics mesmerizes me to a great extent and so I choose this as my field.

I want to choose a career in which in which I can excel the most. Electrical engineering is one the top engineering currently and this is another reason for choosing this field. Furthermore, I do not want to dependant on anyone, not even to my father or to his business. I want to do something unique, extraordinary in my life, do something on my own. In practical life, I want to start a business related to electronics and expand it all over the world. I want to make my career different from others. My aim in life is to excel in my field and let no one cross me. I want to make a name which the world can remember for a long time.

I did my O levels and got 3A*4A and 2B. I also appeared for AS level and got 2A and 1B. I also gave IELTS and got 6.5 band. Apart from my studies, I also did some extra-curricular activities in my school; I was part of the organizing committee for the school bake sale. I was also the part of the organizing committee for raising about RP 44000 in school for charity. I was also the vice house captain of yellow house and played several games. I played football and basketball matches but the game which I loved to play is cricket. I was the school cricket team captain. I lead my team in several inter-house cricket competitions. I also joined a cricket club named Cricket training programme and played for them.

Apart from school life, I also did some internships. I took part in community service; I worked in Shaukat Khanam Hospital and Bait ul Afiah trust. I had witnessed my grandfather die of gangrene and I knew how painful it was. My grandfather could not walk, all he did was to lie on his bed the whole day and the whole night. I wanted to help the old people, make their life as much better as I could because I knew what difficulties old people face. So I did an internship in the NGO "Bait ul Afiah trust." Last but not least, I worked in my father's construction company to see whether I would even like doing this work or not for the rest of my life. I figured out that the working conditions were very harsh, you had to stay under the sun for long hours, constantly walk here and there despite how hot or cold the weather is. So I did not opt for this field.

The reason I have chosen UK for my higher education is because UK has been the epitome of Higher education for decades. Universities and institutions in UK provide local and international students with quality education and exposure to the practical world which is unparallel across the world. Above all, this also entitles students with a world class degree which is accepted and reputed across the world.
I grew up in an environment where education was not taken seriously.

.... let's try with direct speech ;)
The environment I grew up didn't take education so seriously.

No one ever stressedpushed me to study, prepare for my exams etc

No one took a keen interest to encourage me to study and do well at the exams.

My parents, most of my close uncles and other relatives are not very much educated.

They went into business early and my parents thought of doing the same with me.

They took up business early in life and my parents had the same wish for me too.

Home / Undergraduate / "An investment in knowledge pays the best interest"; SOP for UK universities