Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

Ithaca Answer FOR WHY I'VE CHOSEN BIOLOGY MAJOR

Jd87rh 11 / 55  
Here is the question:
Please note briefly the reason(s) you selected the academic program to which you seek admission. How did you become interested? Please upload an additional sheet if necessaryAQ.

I chose to major in biology for many reasons, among them is my love for science and the flexibility the major offers me.

My need to understand things was an important motivator during my childhood. I wanted to know fully why everything was as it was. These questions would pop into my head at night when I couldn't sleep. I'd imagine the solution, the answer to my questions; they were sometimes far-fetched or insanely wrong, but this is how it began.

The fact that we haven't figured everything out, that there is so much knowledge out there, waiting to be discovered, uncovered and understood. The best definitions I've ever come across for science is that it "is the concerted human effort to understand, or to better understand, the history of the natural world and how the natural world works, with observable physical evidence as the basis of the understanding " and "science alone of all the subjects contains within itself the lesson of the danger of belief in the infallibility of the greatest teachers in the preceding generation . . .As a matter of fact, I can also define science another way: Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts. "

In my case this quote is very true. As my first inquire into science came from a science fair. My teacher at the time told me that bacteria formed yogurt and I always thought yogurt was just another form of milk. Around that time we were also getting into science fairs, so I decided to use that as my science fair subject so that I could prove my teacher wrong. I researched yogurt and everywhere I looked I saw fermentation, bad bacteria, sterilization. My teacher was right; bacteria had a lot to do with developing yogurt.

My next question was 'what defined good or bad bacteria.' This assignment led me into researching, designing, experimenting, observing and learning all I could about yogurt, bacteria, and such. Eventually I learned about cell formation, cell division, mitosis, etc. It was a real boost, after learning all that and getting an A on my project I was more confident then ever. I began to research and explore anything that fascinated me; I even conducted my own experiments on the side, which sometimes lead to some interesting discoveries and other times lead to me just having random information. When I wasn't drawing, I was either reading a book or online researching something I might have thought or heard of.

Majoring in biology allows for a certain degree of flexibility. I'm not sure of what career I might have in the future, but I do know that it will involve the sciences. A degree in biology will prepare me for the study of living organisms. It'll provide a broad background; so that I could possibly continue in one of many different careers. I could specialize in biomedical engineering, biochemistry or go on to medical school. There are so many possibilities and paths I can take by majoring in biology. So I can do something I love and know that I have many choices available.

Ithaca College will enable me to follow my goals. Everything about Ithaca, from its state-of-the-art laboratories and small classes, make it the perfect school for me. I know with Ithaca's curriculum I'll be able to learn and explore new subjects. I'd love to feel support from the professors and faulty, and Ithaca can offer me just that. When you get to know your teachers, the learning experience is always much more enjoyable and interesting.

Home / Undergraduate / Ithaca Answer FOR WHY I'VE CHOSEN BIOLOGY MAJOR