"Jack Worthing's"; Columbia Sup; Meaningful book/ publication/ cultural event

cindygonzalez 1 / 1  
Question: Please tell us what you found meaningful about one of the above mentioned books, publications or cultural events.
I chose the book The Importance of Being Earnest and heres my answer: I need proof-reading and or notes...

As I read the last lines of the play, I couldn't contend my excitement as I revealed Jack Worthing's, Oscar Wilde's, very famous line which went like this: "I've now realized for the first time in my life the vital importance of being earnest". This very line made me reflect the importance of being genuinely true to yourself. I have never understood how some people, in order to "fit in", pretend to be something they are not just for the enjoyment they bring to others. Both Jack and Algernon pretended to be Earnest to win their beloved's heart, leading them to live a double life which they can't uphold and even though this conflict is resolved at the end of the play were everyone lived happily ever after, in real life we can't depend that everything will turn out as perfect as we want it to be. Wilde's mockery of the Victorian era in his play did not only produced in me the comic effect intended, but also produced a unique appreciation of who I am and who I want to be.
texo 1 / 5 1  
As I read the last lines of the play, I couldn'tcould notcontendcontain my excitement as I revealed Jack Worthing's, Oscar Wilde's, very famous line which went like this infamous line: "I've now realized for the first time in my life the vital importance of being earnest". This very line made me reflect the importance of being genuinely true to yourself. I have never understood how some people, in order to "fit in", pretend to be something they are not just for the enjoyment they bring to others. Both Jack and Algernon pretended to be Earnest to win their beloved's heart, leading them to live a double life which they can'tcould not uphold andE ven though this conflict is resolved at the end of the play wh ere everyone lived happily ever after, in real life we can'tcannotdepend that everything will turn out as perfect as we want it to beexpect everything to turn out the way we want it to . Wilde's mockery of the Victorian era in his play did not only produced in me the comic effect intended, but also produced a unique appreciation of who I am and who I want to be.

You should avoid contractions because they tend to sound informal.
Please take a look at my essay too :)
OP cindygonzalez 1 / 1  
Thank you so much texo here's the fixed one, I would like some notes on your behalf and I will check your essay too:

I could not contain the excitement as I revealed Jack Worthing's, Oscar Wilde's, infamous line: "I've now realized for the first time in my life the vital importance of being earnest". This very line made me reflect the importance of being genuinely true to yourself. I have never understood how some people, in order to "fit in", pretend to be something they are not just to please others. Both Jack and Algernon pretended to be Earnest to win their beloved's heart, leading them to live a double life, which they could not uphold. Even though this conflict is settled at the end of the play, where everyone lived happily ever after, in real life we cannot expect everything to turn out the way we want it to. Wilde's mockery towards the Victorian-era society in his play not only produced the comic effect intended but also concluded that personal identity should not be lost in order to sustain a social image.

Home / Undergraduate / "Jack Worthing's"; Columbia Sup; Meaningful book/ publication/ cultural event