Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

'Jamshedpur and India' - where you come from and your world

abhip712 2 / 3  
Prompt #1 Describe the world you come from - for example, your family, community or school - and tell us how your world has shaped your dreams and aspirations.

Jamshedpur - the word has a jarring sound in the English language. It is the place where I was born. It was here that I attended Little Flowers School, a prime institution where the stern discipline of the teachers eroded any idea of the gentleness implied by the school's name. When I needed to buy anything, I walked down to the local bazaar teeming with life; its halwais (sweetshops) displaying scrumptious sweets that were being strafed by hordes of flies; the street peddlers who unabashedly hawked such high-quality clothing as a t-shirt emblazoned with both Tommy Hilfiger and Nike. People of Jamshedpur, India, count amongst the most hospitable ones in India. You will find them very helpful and cheerful, always smiling and eager to help. Jamshedpur portrays a positive kaleidoscope of myriad religions, who dwell in perfect harmony. The most awaited month, July, saw monsoons with their torrential rains wreaking havoc on residents of Jamshedpur. However, my friends and I relished the opportunity to take our shirts off and dance in the rain

Jamshedpur is known as the educational capital of East India. The families here mostly belong to the middle class and they believe that investment in educating children was much more valuable than other material benefits. I spent my childhood years in a colony surrounded by big and small establishments. . The city inspired and encouraged me to believe that education was the only way to fulfill one's dreams in life. .From six pm to ten pm everyday our colony used to get no electricity supply but surprisingly it used to be the brightest four hours of the day illuminated by the love and passion the people here hold for studies. All my neigbours would sit on the terrace with lanterns and kerosene lamps and the air would be abuzz with multiplication tables and trigonometry formulae. My father used to come home late on Saturday nights. It was difficult for me to be awake at that late hour and to read by a small kerosene lamp. But that was my only opportunity to impress my father with my progress in studies.

The city shaped me and imbued me with values that laid down the very basis of the city. My foray into science was bolstered a group of dedicated teachers who kept alive my passion for science. Tata Motors supported me for my first international research project. Someday I will certainly make my city proud.And yes, I will dance in the rain with old comrades again.

Home / Undergraduate / 'Jamshedpur and India' - where you come from and your world