And All That Jazz. Michigan Supplement.

fifty8 1 / 1  
Hello EssayForum. Deadlines for early action are approaching and I have finished some of the last of my essays. I would greatly appreciate any feedback, comments, etc. If I do something wrong, please inform me, thank you.

Describe the unique qualities that attract you to the specific undergraduate College or School (including preferred admission and dual degree programs) to which you are applying at the University of Michigan. How would that curriculum support your interests? (500 words maximum)

And All That Jazz.

The title phrase is the cinnamon of my vocabulary. It adds zest to my sentences. It accentuates my opinions. Whenever I discuss something that I admire, I eloquently articulate a list of compliments about it - that is, before I cut it off with "and all that jazz".

But, if you asked five months ago for my opinions about the colleges on my list, I would have given you an answer deviating far, far away from my catchphrase. When I started my college researching, I turned to Michigan quickly. The University of Michigan had long intrigued me for dozens of reasons. A sample of what grabbed my attention included the nationally commended education that was offered, the jazz ensemble and marching band, the Denard Robinson cult, and all that jazz. As I dove into the world of UMich, I discovered that the school had even more dimensions than that.

UMich's Computer Science program captivated me quickly. Although I am applying to the major in the College of Literature, Science, and Arts, I was ecstatic when many of the College of Engineering's career resources were available to the LSA Computer Science major. I had battled for weeks on whether I should apply to LSA or CoE for Computer Science; when I learned how the former also offered the resources, I knew that sealed the deal. After all, considering how Michigan's nationally ranked Computer Science program will give me a powerful foundation of software and theory, it's very difficult to turn down an opportunity like this.

I've always believed that education should stem from diverse fields and studies, and an education from the most diverse school fits that criterion. My loves for music, 19th century American history, and psychobiology are so deep that I'm not ready to relinquish all of that in exchange for classes exclusively pertaining to my major. While the College of Engineering focuses heavily on the mathematics and sciences, the College of LSA permits a diverse education more easily; I've searched for something like that for so long, and I'm looking forward to possibly having the real taste of it.

When I picture myself in UMich, I see a student with a rigorous but balanced workload featuring both the classes relevant to my major and the classes relevant to my miscellaneous interests. I see a musician who finds just enough time to study inverted chords and figured bass in Music Theory courses, while also fitting in work to comprehend advanced logarithms for Computer Science. The courses I would take here, the fun I would share with my Wolverine family, and the infinite opportunities outside of pure academics demonstrate a promise that Michigan would offer something to me that's absolutely marvelous and unforgettable... and all that jazz. Stay classy, Ann Arbor.
kevin12345 3 / 5  
this is a great essay, I wouldn't say UMich though its too colloquial.
OP fifty8 1 / 1  
Yeah I thought I should change that, haha. Any other thoughts?

Home / Undergraduate / And All That Jazz. Michigan Supplement.