JHU Supplement - Africana Studies & Pre-Med Track

yaya4lyfe 2 / 3  
Prompt:
1. Johns Hopkins offers 50 majors across the schools of Arts and Sciences and Engineering. On this application, we ask you to identify one or two that you might like to pursue here. Why did you choose the way you did? If you are undecided, why didn't you choose? (If any past courses or academic experiences influenced your decision, you may include them in your essay.)

I chipped my tooth on a treadmill. Honestly, I didn't panic. I figured with the technology of our time, I could get my tooth back and no one will ever notice. However, I became hysterical when my dentist said that I needed a root canal. I ran to Google to determine the severity of the operation. I found out that it is painful but thanks to anesthesia, I won't feel anything at all.

The day of my surgery the anesthesiologist pumped local anesthesia to numb my mouth and told me to relax. She held my hand through the entire process and told me not to worry. The anesthesiologist was a woman from Nigeria.

From that day on, I noticed that most of my physicians are African. Being the child of African originated parents, I was raised to be proud of my roots. However, in the American/European centered curriculum, African culture wasn't stressed as much. This spurred my interest in Africana studies. I want to learn the complexity of African-American culture, the literature, the experience, and more. Black History Month wasn't enough for me.

Without my anesthesiologist by my side, I would have been in panic mode. But thanks to her presence, I kept my cool. She motivated me to want to become an anesthesiologist. While studying Africana studies, I want to be completing the pre-medical requirements. It is important to me that I reach my career goal while feeding my curiosity.

Bad?Good?More Information?Too little? I am at 241/250 words. If you find anything unnecessary tell me.
Thanks in advance!
Glenna 1 / 1  
Perhaps: I want to be completingcomplete the pre-medical requirements.

Perhaps a colon? I want to learn the complexity of African-American culture: the literature, the experience, and more.

Instead of: It is important to me that I reach my career goal while feeding my curiosity.
Perhaps tie this in with your personal experience somehow: If I can gain a deeper understanding of my heritage as I reach for my career goals, maybe I too can be a source of inspiration for those who don't see faces like theirs in the medical community.
OP yaya4lyfe 2 / 3  
Ahh, i like your ideas. Thank you very much. I will take your comments into account!

Home / Undergraduate / JHU Supplement - Africana Studies & Pre-Med Track