Why JHU? ---How to Build Your Future Here?

anfernee 6 / 19 13  
Rolling up my pants, I gingerly bowed my back to ladle river water into my mineral water bottle. I was not thirsty. Without specialized instruments, that was an unprofessional yet useful way to conduct sampling. Faced with environmental problems in my home country, I chose to join the Green Hunan Association, a regional non-profit organization of environmental protection, responsible for monitoring several factory outfalls around my home. Determining the water quality by observing sediments and pH indicators. Then government agencies contacted by us would come to stage to take over the violations. However, as the haze and fog permeate to a staggering extent, I doubt myself whether our relentless work is futile; the new problem that once threatened London and Los Angeles has come to China now. But I believe that Johns Hopkins University will raise my individual efforts to a higher level.

As solving environmental issues requires flexible thought pattern, the holistic, interdisciplinary essence of environmental engineering in Hopkins attracts me to build a sound body of knowledge that extends to other fields. To base engineering studies on liberal arts, the open curriculum allows me to take advantage of abundant academic resources related to environmental sustainability, such as public health, biochemistry and economics, to take a macroscopic view and conduct in-depth analysis. When I read student reviews, I found that prospective environmental engineers are not limited by the small department size but led by world-class faculty members and graduate students to directly participate in various research projects that correspond to their goals. By immersing myself in Refuel Our Future, civic engagement, and internships within Baltimore and beyond, I will also benefit from the invaluable assets of Hopkins outside of academic preparation.

Different countries have adjusted special treatments against local environmental degradation. Thus, during informative field trips and overseas studies provided in Hopkins, alongside aspiring fellows, I want to learn from those indigenous solutions, adding global perspectives to my international identity that I already possessed. I am ready to cooperate with inspiring professors, who excel at both researching and teaching, on data acquisition and independent projects.

I expect the camaraderie established through shared course selections, lab experience and even lunch breaks. Motivated to better the world by enhancing practical dexterity, the DoGEE community consisting of people from diverse backgrounds is a group that I am more than happy to join. I believe the collaborative atmosphere can help me to overcome culture shock and turn out to be a true leader through team work. Coupled with being a member of the DoGEE family, I will embrace the exciting career as a professional environmental engineer, who welcomes incessant challenges, innovates in renewable technology, and shoulder social responsibility for future generations. Johns Hopkins University is certainly my starting point.
kabir19116 1 / 2  
Good job. Here are my suggestions.
..the DoGEE community consisting of people from diverse backgrounds is a place that I am more than happy to join. I think group should work better here.

.. culture shock and turn out to be a true leader in team work. maybe through
While enjoying being part of the pleasant DoGEE family, gradually, I will embrace the exciting career as a professional environmental engineer,;who welcomes incessant challenges, innovates in renewable technology, and shoulder social responsibility for future generations.

Coupled with being a member of the DoGEE family, I will...
Jize, I think that there is a portion of a paragraph in your current essay that you can actually omit because it does not seem to have a direct connection to the prompt. I am referring to the following:

... Since the undiscriminating pursuit of wealth and fortune in China has become a hotbed for severe pollution sources, my individualized study path will be adapting the advanced concept in environmental protection for precarious situations in China. When I return to my home in summers, I am ready to cooperate with inspiring professors, who excel at both researching and teaching, on data acquisition and independent projects.

Just focus upon how you will build your learning at JHU, you don't have to go into a discussion about China and what you plan to do there during the summer months as it does not apply to the given prompt. By removing that portion, you not only shorten the essay, but also deliver a more complete and prompt adherent response.

Home / Undergraduate / Why JHU? ---How to Build Your Future Here?