JHU Supplement - Physics and Astronomy

kimisizer 6 / 16  
I know astronomy is not an offered major, but JHU has many courses regarding astronomy and astrophysics. Should I still not make it a focal point of my essay? This is a very first draft so please be harsh :D

I gaze up into the twinkling stars and ask myself, are we truly the only life forms in the universe? Since then, I have familiarized myself with efforts made to understand our singular position in the vast universe.

Documentaries on the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence (SETI) as well as black holes and dark matter piqued my interest in astronomy. It soon became apparent that the macroscopic universe was closely related to microscopic elementary particles. I became fascinated with particle physics and its application of quarks and neutrinos to the workings of our known universe.

I believe the opportunities offered at Johns Hopkins will help me understand and perhaps formulate answers to the age-old question regarding our existence. I too would like to know if we are alone or if there are other life forms hidden from our view. In order to become closer to solving this astronomical mystery, I would like the pursue physics at Johns Hopkins while enrolling in the offered astronomy courses. Working with Nobel Prize laureate Adam Riess and other renowned astrophysicists will provide me with the best minds to begin this endeavor. The outstanding Space Telescope Science Institute will serve as the basis of my research of the unfathomable universe. Studying the microscopic world with Johns' Hopkins modern equipment would help me bridge humans to the outside world. Though discovering the truth may take millennia, it would be reassuring to know that we are not just an erroneous mixture of stardust.
ZhoeK 5 / 173  
Andrew

Firstly: What is the prompt?

Grammatical errors I realized.

familiarized myself with the efforts made to understand our singular position

Johns' Hopkins

John Hopkins'
deremifri 9 / 137  
Acutally, I think quantum physics is not really related to astronomy or the theory of relativity.
This is the whole point of modern physics, to find a link between those two.
OP kimisizer 6 / 16  
Oops sorry, the prompt is "Johns Hopkins offers 50 majors across the schools of Arts & Sciences and Engineering. On this application, we ask you to identify one or two that you might pursue here. Why did you choose the way you did?" (250 word maximum). I have 245 words
ZhoeK 5 / 173  
Andrew

Mhmmmm, well considering the prompt said majors, I think they want you to elaborate on a major, and since astrology isn't a major, maybe you should change the focus of your essay to physics or another if you'd prefer.
OP kimisizer 6 / 16  
Ok thanks, I'll see what I can come up with

Home / Undergraduate / JHU Supplement - Physics and Astronomy