John's Hopkins - Why did you choose your major (Latin American Studies)?

HarvestBristle 6 / 11  
1. Johns Hopkins offers 50 majors across the schools of Arts and Sciences and Engineering. On this application, we ask you to identify one or two that you might like to pursue here. Why did you choose the way you did? If you are undecided, why didn't you choose? (If any past courses or academic experience influenced your decision, you may include them in your essay.)

As the Secretary of my high school's Model United Nations club, I attained substantial knowledge about countries' histories, their policies and how they are organized. By recreating and analyzing global diplomatic situations, I got a taste of the world of international relations and diplomacy. As an American citizen living in Puerto Rico, I feel both a part of the U.S. and apart from the U.S., which has made me sensitive to the cultural differences between Latin America and the U.S. I'm excited about expanding my knowledge of foreign policy through coursework at college. This is why I've decided to pursue this dynamic field, to ultimately be a leader in fostering better cultural understanding between even the most conflicting nations in our Hemisphere, such as Venezuela and Colombia. With a myriad of thought-provoking courses, JHU provides an ideal place to study Latin American studies. I look forward to taking enticing courses taught in Spanish at JHU, such as NaciĆ³n criolla: cultura y literatura en el siglo XIX, which are sure to bring about stimulating class discussions. With the chance of applying to JHU's Internship/Research Fellowship Program in Latin America, I'll have the opportunity of carrying out my own individual research projects in this region, which will undoubtedly broaden my knowledge of Latin American society and politics. And with the opportunity of applying to the five-year accelerated BA/MA program at the Nitze School of Advanced International Studies (SAIS), JHU will provide me with the foundation I seek to become a leading figure in the world of international relations

my essay has a total of 256 words, while the limit is 250. Do you think they would mind?
You write very well, Harvestbristle! And thanks for helping to correct the many hundreds of essays people are posting lately. I really appreciate your work here. Please check out

essayforum.com/ef-contributor-page/

I don't think they mind 6 extra words, but if you want to cut some...
As I am an American citizen living in Puerto Rico, and I feel both a part of the U.S. and apart from the U.S., which has made me sensitive to the cultural differences between Latin America and the U.S. I'm excited about expanding my knowledge of foreign policy through coursework at college.

This is why I've decided to pursue this the dynamic field of foreign policy, and I hope to ultimately be a leader in fostering better cultural understanding between even the most conflicting nations in our Hemisphere hemisphere, such as Venezuela and Colombia.

Now, do a paragraph break right here to help the reader organize her thoughts about your sentences.
Start new para:
With a myriad of thought-provoking courses, JHU provides...

Home / Undergraduate / John's Hopkins - Why did you choose your major (Latin American Studies)?