'John F. Kennedy was Catholic' - What Matters and Why? (Stanford)

gooseman94 3 / 1  
The world wouldn't be the kind of place it is today if people weren't open and accepting to new ideas. It is what has helped the world progress and it is what is most important to me. I take pride in being an open person because I know that no matter the situation, openness will always lead to progress in something.

Many people are sometimes uncomfortable with being open because it can be something different that is a threat to their current way of living. However, people must also understand that they must at least give the idea a chance. If it fails, then it is acceptable to reject it. However, they were at least still open to the idea at first. Sure, it does take time to get accustomed to something new in your life, but it doesn't mean it's always bad. In fact, many a time, change has been good for society.

When John F. Kennedy ran for president, many people didn't want him in office because he was Catholic. However, after delivering the speech about how his being Catholic shouldn't matter, many people opened up to him. And what was the result? He created NASA, without which we wouldn't have lost to the Soviets in the Space Race, limited nuclear testing between the two nations, and integrated public facilities. If Americans people hadn't opened up to him, we would have most certainly been at a huge disadvantage during the Cold War and minorities in the United States would have had to wait longer to get their rights.

Why does it matter to me personally? I've experienced firsthand the idea that progress will come of openness. When I was forced to learn French, I was convinced at first it would get me nowhere. However, I have found learning languages intriguing and fun that I can now communicate with others in their own language and that I could be understood in many places, and now I can speak six languages! If I hadn't opened up to this in the first place, then I wouldn't have had this much fun with languages and I would be much less aware of other cultures.

I honestly need all sorts of help on this essay. Please help me out here!
maianh94 6 / 18  
without which we wouldn't have lost to the Soviets in the Space Race--without which we would have
minorities in the United States would have had to wait longer to get their rights. acquire? gain? "get" is weird there

Home / Undergraduate / 'John F. Kennedy was Catholic' - What Matters and Why? (Stanford)