'Kalamazoo Area Math and Science Center' - community do you belong to

reidabook 6 / 19  
Everyone belongs to many different communities and/or groups defined by (among other things) shared geography, religion, ethnicity, income, cuisine, interest, race, ideology, or intellectual heritage. Choose one of the communities to which you belong, and describe that community and your place within it. (Approximately 250 words)

Tucked away on the fourth floor of the old Kalamazoo Central High School building is the Kalamazoo Area Math and Science Center, or KAMSC. Although we come from different schools, backgrounds, and even countries, the students of KAMSC are more like me than anyone I've ever met before, and together we form not a student body, but a family. One of the things I love most about KAMSC is that where I fit in is as an equal. In my niche, I am the student who proudly displays her goggle lines after a chemistry lab, can be overheard arguing whether Spock or Darth Vader would win in a fight (duh...Spock), and has obsessive compulsively color coordinated all her notebooks and binders to each class. I am not looked down upon for the clothes I wear, how smart I am, or the fact that I am extremely quirky, but instead I am encouraged to defy the status quo and be my own spectacular self. At KAMSC everyone is extremely intelligent, but each in their own unique way. The programmers, physics junkies, and biology students with tie-dyed lab coats all excel at different subjects, but we appreciate what makes each other special and use it to our advantage by collaborating and learning from each other.
One of the things I love most about KAMSC is that it's where I fit in is as an equal.

In my niche, I am the student who proudly displays her goggle lines after a chemistry lab, can be overheard arguing over whether Spock or Darth Vader would win in a fight (duh...Spock), and who has obsessive compulsively color coordinated all her notebooks and binders to each class.

This is well written and a good essay!
:)

Home / Undergraduate / 'Kalamazoo Area Math and Science Center' - community do you belong to