Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

I have always been keen on history; PS (GREAT BRITAIN )

tadek2103 1 / -  
Below is a personal statement that I have to send by wednesday to universities in Great Britain. Could anyone read it, perhaps correct it, and share his or her opinion? I would be really grateful. :)

I have always been keen on history. The more I studied this subject, the more I was becoming conscious that it isn't just about gaining knowledge connected with the past, but it also gives us an opportunity to find out how the decisions made by our ancestors had influenced our contemporary society. Moreover, I also realized that our acts are going to have an impact on our descendants. Since then I have been trying to be a better person. We must remember that our beliefs don't make us better, but our behavior does. Consequently, I was helping children in the day-care rooms to learn and taking part in sport events, not only as a participant, but also as a volunteer.

History seems to me as an appealing subject to study, as Poland - my native country - constantly played an important role in the European history. Already at the age of 7 I got interested in history. In secondary school, I started attending Social Sciences classes. This subject was strongly connected with modern history: we learnt about European Union, international organizations and government. I took part in many competitions and I won a Subject Olympiad of the civil and economic knowledge. My achievements helped me to get into one of the best schools in Poland. I knew that I have to be an active, open person; therefore, immediately after I got in to this school, I decided to involve myself into school life. Not only am I a part of school government, but I am also playing football in a school's team.

I'm attending a class in which above all I'm learning mathematics, geography and history.
Not only give me geography classes an opportunity to locate places on the map, but they also provide me with information about structures of society throughout the ages. Because of mathematics I am able to learn how to think logically. I believe that, these two disciplines are connected with history, as at the history not only are we gaining knowledge about our ancestors, and society, but we also have to colligate important facts, and we can do it due to logic chains.

My interests in geography and mathematics are incessantly helping me to develop my historical knowledge, but in my opinion we should all the time try to gain extensive knowledge about the world, therefore I decided to complete an online course at HarvardX. It familiarized me with human and property rights, and dilemmas of loyalty.

I believe that a strong historian above all should know a lot of hidden facts, arguments and problems accompanying them- consequently for a valuable historian it is imperative to have an intellectual curiosity. Due to it I decided to discover the world. By now I have travelled to places such as Athens, Rome, Montenegro and Macedonia. It familiarized me with new cultures; I was soaking in the rich culture and history of ancient cities in Greece or Italy. Last summer was very important for me. Not only did I have an internship in Polish Public Company called BACCA, but I also organized a trip for a group of my friends.

Being able to gain some work experience, and to work in that kind of company taught me how to be responsible, stress-resistant and how to find some solutions in an unexpected situation. Due to obligation of meeting deadlines, I became more efficient.

After working for a couple of weeks in BACCA, I was able to afford going for a trip. I and my friends wanted to see bygone south border of Polish-Lithuanian Union, so we went to places like Kamieniec Podolski or Chocim, and then headed to Transnistria, which in political meaning is one of the most vague places in Europe.

After coming back from my trip, I realized that due to responsibility and openness to other cultures, which are one of my biggest strengths, I would be able to study in a foreign country. I did an ample amount of research, and I found out that my biggest dream is to study in Scotland. Not only will I have a possibility to live in one of my favorites places in Europe, but it will also give me an opportunity to familiarize myself with a rich history of this land. I am convinced that t would give me a lot of opportunities and broaden my knowledge, therefore I hope that my dream will come true.

Home / Undergraduate / I have always been keen on history; PS (GREAT BRITAIN )