KEEP YOUR HEAD UP! - Motivation to be a Physician Assistant (Application Essay)

kimschauer 1 / -  
Nearly everyday I yell to John*, "keep your head up!!". He giggles uncontrollably, erratically driving his electric wheelchair, smashing it into door frames, off sidewalks, or into other people. He has trouble with his chair because his head hangs limp, heavy against the weak muscles of his neck. John has no use of either of his legs or one arm. The use of the other arm is inhibited by involuntary spasms, making it extremely difficult to control the chair's joystick. However, like many of the patients at J.D. McCarty Center, a rehabilitation hospital for children, John seems to laugh in the face of his disability. John radiates joy and is full of life. In spite of everything, he has a positive attitude about his future. Working with John has been exciting and meaningful; everyday I watch him become more independent as I help him take control of his disability and health.

My job at J.D. McCarty Center has by far been my most rewarding health care experience. The children have made the largest impact on my desire to work directly with patients. They have also continued my interest in Public Health and working in underserved communities. With these kids, it is painfully obvious how coming from a poor, rural area can negatively affect a person's health and life. About half of the patients have been taken into custody because parents do not have the resources to support their family while providing care for their child. Children who do stay with their families often lack the supplies to live the best life possible. Many factors are influential in these situations, yet the ability to find and afford quality health care is a starting point for a life of opportunity. Since volunteering in college at a clinic for the poor and uninsured, working in an underserved community has always seemed to be the most gratifying work. Gaining trust from patients, I listened to stories of the stress and anxiety that comes from living in a reduced socioeconomic status. As a Physician Assistant, I would like to spend time with patients and hopefully get to know more than just their illness. My experiences have shown me that it is very important to take into account how various emotional and environmental factors influence health. As a PA working within Public Health, I would have this opportunity.

Many of my experiences with volunteer work and with my studies in undergraduate school have been directed towards Public Health. Yet my encounters with Emergency Medicine have allowed me to explore another branch of medicine. Receiving my Urban EMT certificate and training in wilderness medicine from the National Outdoor Leadership School of Lander, Wyoming led me to take a job as the sole EMT and medical coordinator for the Vermont Fish and Wildlife summer camp. I was in charge of taking care of the injuries and illnesses for about 60 children each week. I ordered and organized all medical supplies, administered medications, and held meeting with staff to provide information about significant health issues. These intense, thrilling experiences taught me so much about medicine and working with patients, but also how much more I want to learn. It is very important to me to have flexibility in my career. As a Physician Assistant, being trained as a generalist will allow me this, while providing a well-rounded knowledge of medicine with the collaborative work with other healthcare professionals.

Rejection from a Physician Assistant program last year propelled me to take steps in bettering myself and my understanding of medicine. While working full-time at a children's rehabilitation hospital, I attended classes and committed myself to exceptional grades. A personal interest in science and health along with the knowledge that these classes were the gateway to improving my future provided the motivation I needed. As a successful Direct Care Specialist at J.D. McCarty center, I have received praise from my supervisors and a nomination as a preceptor for incoming DCS. In addition I have been working as an Independent Contractor for Oklahoma Home Help, a small business which aids the elderly in their homes. I have continued my knowledge of the Physician Assistant profession and stay updated on current scientific advances and health care issues. I will do everything I can to achieve my goal of becoming a Physician Assistant.

I truly believe that Physician Assistants have the most fortunate healthcare job. I know that this career will challenge me and that it is also a practical option for the future that I see for myself. Working with John and other patients at J.D. McCarty Center have shown me how rewarding it is to help people learn how to take control of their health. I believe that Physician Assistants have the best opportunity to positively influence a patient's health and life. I am certain that this is the career for me.
mary1226 1 / 2  
Receiving my Urban EMT certificate and training in wilderness medicine from the National Outdoor Leadership School of Lander, Wyoming led me to take a job as ---It's not necessary to me...it's a space filler and that can be annoying at times

Rearrange to emphasize the first thus making it stronger and more relevant to what PAs do:
I administered medications , ordered and organized all medical supplies, and held meetings with staff to

"It is very important to me to have flexibility in my career. As a Physician Assistant, being trained as a generalist will allow me this, while providing a well-rounded knowledge of medicine with the collaborative work with other healthcare professionals." -- I like this a lot.

Rejection from a Physician Assistant program last year propelled me to take steps in bettering myself and my understanding of medicine. --- Are you re-applying to the same school? If so, I would say,As a re-applicant, I invested/dedicated this past year to further understanding medicine, developing new skills, and honing in my talents to better serve patients as a Physician Assistant. ...It's up to you. If you are not re-applying to the same school, then delete the whole rejection part...they don't need to know but you can still state you dedicated this past year to...insert here...

While working full-time at a children's rehabilitation hospital, I attended classes and committed myself to exceptional grades. A personal interest in science and health along with the knowledge that these classes were the gateway to improving my future provided the motivation I needed. ---Great!

I will do everything I can to achieve my goal of becoming a Physician Assistant. --- Cut out or rephrase:My fervent desire has enabled me to take advantage of every opportunity available to further understand and relate to the role of a Physician Assistant in the medical field.???

I truly believe that Physician Assistants have the most fortunate healthcare job.--Why?? I would avoid words like "most," "best," "always"...etc

I know that this career will challenge me and that it is also a practical option for the future that I see for myself. -- Makes me think you are also thinking of other options right now. You don't want to plant any seeds of doubt.

Working with John and other patients at J.D. McCarty Center have shown me how rewarding it is to help people learn how to take control of their health. I believe that Physician Assistants have the best opportunity to positively influence a patient's health and life. I am certain that this is the career for me. -- Awesome!

Overall, very good start! I like that you have a lot of patient experience and you are working hard at making this dream a reality! Good luck!!

Home / Undergraduate / KEEP YOUR HEAD UP! - Motivation to be a Physician Assistant (Application Essay)