Keep smiling there will be a happy, person who has had a significant influence on you

ninasong 4 / 11  
hey guys,
i'm kind of stressing out because of my essay...so would be great if you could give me some feedback. feel free to tear it apart :D (i'm not a native speaker)

Keep smiling there will be a happy end!

"Happiness is the only thing which doubles, if one shares it" (Albert Einstein)
That has always been my favorite quote.
Many students probably write that their parents, relatives or perhaps a Nobel Prize winner has influenced them most. Yet, I would like to know about my dear friend Gully. Gully and I have been friends since 5th grade and to me she has always been one of the most optimistic people I have ever known. Her constant smiling face can always light up my day.

As I have been class president since 7th grade, I considered myself a mature, independent and optimistic person. It never crossed my mind that sometimes I was a foolish child. Due to my leadership role in class, my teachers have treated me like an adult at a very young age on. Yet, Gully would prove me wrong. In fact until the end of 9th grade, I was still a whiny little girl.

As I mentioned, ever since I have known Gully, she has always told me to embrace the moment and not solely look at the dark side of life. Every time I started to whine about some unfortunate events, she would carefully listen to me and tell me to not look back but take every mistake or problem as an experience for the future. "Keep smiling, there will be a happy end", she always told me. Secretly, I envied her because in my mind she led a perfect life without any worries. Since I thought no one could always look at the bright side of life. However, my assumption would prove itself completely wrong.

Starting in 9th grade Gully frequently missed classes. Whenever I asked her about it, she solely told me she had a cold or fever and I did not ask any further question until she disappeared from school for over two months. Since I was curious and cared about her well-being, I decided to visit her. At her house, I found a very weak Gully whose shoulder was wrapped. When I asked her what happened, she told me she just had a surgery in which a tumor was removed from her right shoulder. I could not believe it. Apparently, Gully had suffered under the pain of the tumor all that time; she was still able to keep up her smile. I truly felt embarrassed that I complained about so many small things while she actually had bigger problems. Although the new gained knowledge shocked me, I was happy that she was fine, but this was my second false assumption.

A couple months after her surgery, Gully started to complain about severe headaches. Both of us knew a possible reason for the headache but I did not want to believe it. After Gully came back from the doctor she told me the truth which I did not want to believe: her tumor had moved to her brain. Considering the fact that she was the one who suffered she was way stronger than me. After all, I was the one who cried for her. I asked God why her? She was just a 15 years girl, she should not carry such a heavy burden with her! Again, it was Gully who comforted me, saying the exact same words again: "Keep smiling, there will be a happy end". I had never cried that hard ever in my life, I could not help her nor share her pain. Furthermore, she has not even lived her life! Looking back, I know that although my tears showed Gully my affection for her,they were probably also the reason why she had not told me about her sickness before: she was worried that her problems would break my heart.

During the middle of 10th grade, she left my school in order to treat her disease. Still today, I admire her courage and her unstoppable effort to make the best out of her life under the circumstances.

Nowadays Gully still thanks me for being such a good friend during her sickness. (She was already back at school when I returned from my year in the States.) However, she has not realized that I actually learned way more and received much more support than she from me. Through her sickness, I had the time to think over my life. Suddenly, I understood what she has always tried to teach me. It is true that we only live once - at least in this body- .

Through Gully, not only did I start to appreciate every single moment of my life but also, she taught me that no obstacle should come between one's happiness and dreams. Therefore, no matter what happens, I will keep up my smile, because with every problem, there will be a solution. I know that sometimes I still complain about trivia, but every single day I learn to appreciate and be grateful for my life a little more. I do not only want to enjoy my life myself, I would like to bring happiness and a small joy to other people. Hence, it is always the highlight in my week when I visit the elderly in the nursing home. It feels great to see how happy I can make them just by reading aloud to them.

Yet, one thing I taught Gully is that it is true that happiness doubles when one shares it but burden will also be halved if you share it with your friends.

Therefore I would now extend my favorite quote to: Happiness is the only thing which doubles, I one shares it. Though, burdens will be halved if one shares them with one's friends. And don't forget to keep smiling, because there will be a happy end.
ali_cheif 6 / 13  
Its a very nice essay. Just a few suggestions...

Keep smiling there, Keep smiling there will be a happy end!

That has always been my favorite quote.
Many students probably write that their parents, relatives or a famous, perhaps a Nobel Prize winner has influenced them most. Yet, I would like you to know about my dear friend Gully. Gully and I have been friends since 5th grade and to me she has always been one of the most optimistic people I have ever known. Her constant smiling face could always light up my day.

As I have been class president since 7th grade, I considered myself as a mature, independent, optimistic person. I had never considered the possibility that I could ever be foolish . Due to my leadership role in class, my teachers have treated me as an adult from a very young age on. Yet, Gully will prove me wrong. In fact until the end of 9th grade, I was still a whiny little girl.

As I already mentioned, ever since I have known Gully, she has always told me to embrace the moment and should not solely look at the dark side of life. Every time I started to whine about some unfortunate events, she would carefully listen to me and tell me not look back but take it as an experience for the future. "Keep smiling, there will be a happy end", she always told me. Secretly, I envied her, since to my mind she led a perfect life without any worries. Since I thought no one could always look at the bright side of life. However, my conclusion would prove itself completely wrong.

Starting from 9th grade Gully frequently missed classes. Whenever I asked her about it, she solely told me she had a cold or fever and I did not further question it until she disappeared from school for over two months. Since I grew suspicious and well, I cared about her well-being, I decided to visit her. At her house, I found a very weak Gully whose shoulder was wrapped. As I asked her what happened, she told me she just had a surgery in which a tumor was removed from her right shoulder. I could not believe it. Apparently, Gully had suffered the pain of the tumor all this time ; still she was able to keep up her smile. I truly felt embarrassed that I complained about so many small things while she actually had bigger problems. Although the new gain of knowledge was shocking to me, I was happy that she was fine, but this was my second wrong assumption.

Only after few months, Gully started to complain about severe headaches. Both of us knew a possible reason for the headache but I did not want to believe it. After Gully came back from the doctor she told me the truth which I did not want to believe. Her tumor has moved to her brain. Considering the fact that she was the one who suffered she was way stronger than me. After all, I was the one who cried. I asked God why her? She was just a 15 year old gir l, she should not carry such a heavy burden! Again, it was Gully who comforted me, saying the exact same word again, "Keep smiling, there will be a happy end". I had never cried that hard ever in my life, not even when my grandmother passed away because I could not help her nor share her pain. Furthermore she has not even lived her life! Looking back, I know that although my tears showed Gully my affection for her, but were probably also the reason why she has not told me about her sick ness before. She was worried that her problems would eat me up.

Nowadays Gully still thanks me for being such a good friend during her sickness. She was already back at school when I returned from my year in the States. However, she has not realized that I actually learned way more and received much more support from her than she from me. Through her sickness, I had the time to think my life over . Suddenly, I understood what she has always tried to tell me. It is true that we only live once (at least in this body).

Through Gully, not only did I start to appreciate every single moment of my life but also, she taught me that no obstacle should be between one's happiness and dreams. Therefore, no matter what will happen, I will keep up my smile, because to every problem, there will be a solution and a happy end. I know that still, I sometimes complain about my situation, but every single day I learn to appreciate and be grateful for my life a little more. I do not only want to enjoy my life myself, I would like to bring happiness and a small to other people as well . Hence, it is always a highlight in my week when I visit my grandparents at the nursing home. It feels great to see how happy I can make them just by reading out to them.

Yet, one thing I taught Gully is that true that happiness doubles when one shares it, but burden will also be halved if you share it with your friends. be a happy end!

"Happiness is the only thing which doubles, if one shares it" . That's still my favorite quote.
OP ninasong 4 / 11  
thx a lot!!!!!
OP ninasong 4 / 11  
i revised my essay...but do you think guys think it is too long??

merry xmas!! and thanks in advance

Home / Undergraduate / Keep smiling there will be a happy, person who has had a significant influence on you