Keeping my soul - a surfbort original for Rice

surfbort 3 / 4 1  
Prompt: How did you first learn about Rice University and what motivated you to apply?

My first impression of Rice was a survey that ranked students there as the happiest in the nation. More than anything, that one statistic drew my attention. In my imagination, colleges weren't meant to be happy places; they were meant to be places of dreary and soulless lecture halls, constant worrying about grades, and late-night cram sessions where you study until your eyes melt into your fifteenth cup of coffee. So what made Rice students, including two friends of mine, not only enjoy their college experience but sing its praises like a new Star Wars film? For starters, the food certainly must help. Rice's dining halls have more certified chefs than any other university, which is fitting given the school's scrumptious name. The student life, too, seemed to play a key part. As an extrovert, I love making new friends; the residential colleges are a dream come true for me, as places where I can meet and hang out with so many different people at once, from all corners of the earth. And if my attending friends are any indication of the sort at Rice, the people I'll meet will make for some of the best four years of my life. A wise man whose name escapes me once gave advice that could have easily referred to my former idea of college: "What good is it if a man gains the whole world, let loses his soul?" For me, Rice is the only place where I can gain both.
jricha 2 / 11 1  
good overall. It is an academic instiution so maybe try to tie in at lest a sentence or two about the academic aspect. Maybe talk about the student life first and then the food. last sentence is really great and really ties it all together
adventoor 3 / 19  
Pretty good essay. Rice is a highly academic research institution, so definitely talk about the academics. The transitions needs to be smoother so you can avoid convolution. And by far my favorite part was which is fitting given the school's scrumptious name. The admissions officers should admit you based solely off of that line hahaha. I literally laughed out loud.

Good luck!

Home / Undergraduate / Keeping my soul - a surfbort original for Rice