Kick, dodge; CommonApp/ Topic of your choice

Nashinro 1 / 1  
Topic: Any topic of your choice.

The dripping sweat tickles my face as I rhythmically kick back and forth with my partner. I continue with the pattern: kick, dodge, kick, dodge. Sensei has not told us to stop yet. My muscles burn as exhaustion flows through my body. My limbs scream for rest, but I cannot stop. I am completely focused on my techniques. My mind is in a trance; no physical limitations can break my focus. I am aware of my surroundings, but I am completely focused on my task. This is meditation.

Meditation is a very useful tool, both in karate and when applied to everyday life. When I first joined karate, I was expecting to learn how to punch and kick, not how to discipline myself. But then, one day in class, I discovered meditation. Since that day, I have begun applying my newfound discipline to all aspects to my life. I noticed almost immediately that I could use meditation to work much more efficiently, which allowed me to significantly decrease my level of procrastination. Meditation is one part of my training that I have used every single day, both in and out of karate class. I use meditation when I do a problem in physics class, when I walk through the hallways, and when I drive home from school.

Most people have misconceptions when they think of meditation. They imagine a monk sitting in a cross-legged position, chanting for hours on end. But meditation, as my sensei likes to describe it, is simply "having a complete awareness of one's surroundings while keeping the mind fixated on one idea." This is the kind of meditation that I embody. This method of meditation applies to not just karate, but also to numerous tasks in my everyday life: simple labor, homework, hobbies, and even driving.

Using my newfound discipline, I am able to focus my mind on an individual task without forgetting the outside world. When I do my homework, I pull out a single assignment at a time and focus on it while staying aware of the other tasks I have to complete. Once I complete my work, I am free to relax, socialize, or participate in extracurricular activities. But homework is, by no means, the only thing I need to focus on. Meditation is a truly valuable skill to have; one can apply it to every aspect of his life in different ways. Whether it is academically, socially, or physically, my disciplined mind will always succeed.
tprincesst 1 / 3  
I really like the topic of your essay.

I think this comes off as awkward: "But homework is, by no means, the only thing I need to focus on." You could rewrite that to flow with the rest of your essay better.

Also, you use "This is.." a few times. You should try finding different phrases to substitute that so it makes your essay sound more versatile.

Other than that, I enjoyed reading it.
OP Nashinro 1 / 1  
Alright, thanks for the help :)

Home / Undergraduate / Kick, dodge; CommonApp/ Topic of your choice