'When Kim Jong Il passed away' - UWashington topic 1

Songkong 4 / 8  
Describe an experience of cultural difference or insensitivity you have had or observed. What did you learn from it?

The tension inside of my grandmother's living room was all too palpable. All three generations of my family were filled in that one room, with all eyes stuck to the TV screen and ears wide open. No cheers or celebrations occurred, though that was what I expected for this very specific moment, but there were almost tears in everyone's eyes. My younger cousin and I stared at each other, not sure of what the appropriate action would be. The day that Kim Jong Il passed away was a totally perplexing day for me.

From school, and anywhere outside of my family, it was almost a trend to make fun of Kim Jong Il and spit hateful terms in regard. Just because I was Korean and Asian, people, even my friends would call me "Kim Jong Il" or "Kim Jr.". I started to grow used to these jokes and even began to accept the nicknames; even coming up with jokes myself. My only knowledge of the actual situation was very limited; I only knew that North Korea was not a great place to be and that it is run by some sort of communist ideology. It happens to be that I myself am part North Korean (though I do not like to define the North from the South). My grandfather had escaped North Korea at the start of the Korean War and joined the South as a translator for the American soldiers. The thing that my grandfather hides very well is the deep regret he feels for leaving the rest of his family behind in the new communist nation.

The tears and "weird" reactions that I witnessed on that day were feelings of redemption, especially for my grandfather. It was more than just the death of a "horrible" dictator, to my family it was change for the ones that they "abandoned". For me, I was astonished at my ignorance of even my own culture. I am ashamed that I did not comprehend the situation before I started to speak of it. This incident has provided me with first hand experience of cultural insensitivity, and I have discovered that there are different aspects than what one may perceive. In the future, I will try to comprehend the full scope of something, before adding in my own input.
akharper2868 2 / 5  
Wow, I really enjoyed your essay. It was touching, reflective, and gave the right amount of self criticism. I actually relate to your situation as well. I often make racial jokes about Asians even though I'm Asian-American. I learned a lot from this. However, I think you should try to expand on what you've learned. "in the future, I will try to comprehend the full scope of something, before adding in my own input." is good, but considering the amount of shock you received when you found out that the "'horrible' dictator" was dead and that your family back home had some new hope you don't think you can elaborate and find a bigger lesson?
nounouboo 3 / 6  
people, even my friends, would call me (add the comma after friends)

Instead of saying the thing my grandfather hides just say What my grandfather hides very well is that

i don't think north korea is a "new" communist nation, so i would take out new

Because you want to sound sure, say i will comprehend not i will try to comprehend (if you want to)

Great story :)
rockingthesea 3 / 13 1  
Great essay! but i thought the last two sentences kind of threw you off a bit though. personally, those are good sentences, but they seem a little too direct in response to the prompt. its almost as if you had to put in to make sure that you have answered the prompt. does that make sense? kind of? anyways, you had a really interesting topic! and fun fact, im also applying to UW, are you applying to seattle, tacoma, or bothell?
OP Songkong 4 / 8  
thank you for the critique, im going for seattle

Home / Undergraduate / 'When Kim Jong Il passed away' - UWashington topic 1