Kindness is by far the best quality ;FSU/leadership, learning, service& global awareness

tasiaturner 1 / 1  
"Florida State University is more than just a world-class academic institution preparing you for a future career. We are a caring community of well-rounded individuals who embrace leadership, learning, service, and global awareness. With this in mind, which of these characteristics appeals most to you, and why?"

I believe that the most important attribute of any institution is having a caring community. Nobody wants to be in an environment where they feel UN-welcomed and alone, no matter the other positive attributes, people are what matters.

I know plenty about going into an unwelcoming environment. Throughout 12 years of school I've been to 5 different elementary schools, two middle schools, and three high schools. And while some I was warmly welcomed and accepted, at others I was not. There is nothing worse than not feeling accepted, especially at such an awkward time as...well all of childhood. I found as a result of being in an environment of indifference I too became detached. My grades often dropped, I spent a majority of my time alone in my room. I didn't care about what was happening in the community around me because the community didn't support me. This effect can be found anywhere. In communities where the individuals are more isolated from each other a breakdown occurs in society, an increase in violence, substance abuse, mental illness and so forth.

The exact opposite occurs when a community's individuals participate in activities as a whole and support each other, people tend to lead happier and healthier lives and are eager to participate and help to better the community. With a strong caring community attributes such as leadership, learning, service, and global awareness come easily. When you care about something you more easily assume leadership, eager to help along the community you love. When you care you want to provide service, helping all those who can. And when you see such a great thing happening in your own community you want to spread out and see how other communities relate to each other! The thriving Greek community at FSU is one of the main reasons I so badly want to attend your University. The opportunity to have such a close community around me while giving me the opportunities to be a leader and provide service while learning at such a world class institution is too great to resist!

Having a strong, caring community to support you truly does make a world of difference. Kindness is by far the best quality any person could have and when a whole school cares about their fellow student good things can't help but happen.
Nobody wants to be in an environment where they feel UN-welcomed and alone,

Nobody wants to be in an environment which is not accommodating and hostile .

Nobody wants to be in an environment where they feel UN-welcomed and alone, no matter the other positive attributes, people are what matters .

.... the second part sounds confusing and I feel it is understood better with the first part only.

I know plenty about going into an unwelcoming environment.

I have plenty of experience with hostile environments.

And while some I was warmly welcomed and accepted, at others I was not.

Some of them were very warm and friendly, other were pretty cold and unfriendly.
OP tasiaturner 1 / 1  
Okay thanks! how do you think i did answering the prompt?

Home / Undergraduate / Kindness is by far the best quality ;FSU/leadership, learning, service& global awareness