Kit Kats: Common Application Essay

pinkstarbaby 6 / 15  
For my Common Application Essay, I chose to write about my own topic. Opinions, advise, and grammatical corrections are greatly appreciated! :)

There are 118 flavors of Kit Kat-my hobby is to try all of them. With flavors such as Aloe Vera, Cheese, and Soy Sauce, regular milk chocolate doesn't cut it for me. My quest to uncover each Kit Kat's distinct flavor began during an autumn trip to Japan. As I reflect on that voyage, an image of the landscape splashed in hues of mahogany, saffron, and burgundy vaguely enchant my mind. Granted, I was a young child at the time and was ignorant of the beauty around me. At the time, my whole being was fixated towards the frivolous intricacies of the snack aisle, particularly on the shelf full of Kit Kat variations. My eyes ogled the row of packaged confections. Cantaloupe, Cucumber, Daigakuimo (sweet potato)-I was overwhelmed by the plethora of possibilities. Shoppers passing by watched with amusement at the little girl who was jumping joyously in the candy aisle. With excitement, I reached for a package of Strawberry Kit Kat. One down, 117 more to go.

Ten years, and around 150 Kit Kat wrappers later, I find myself facing a shelf full of sweets at one of the shops at Kansai International Airport. I am traveling to the 2011 NFL Nationals in Dallas and afterwards to Stanford for a Junior Statesmen Foundation summer program. I've accomplished quite a bit since I first laid eyes on Kit Kats. I taught children how to swim, participated and coached for speech competitions, and arranged my school's entire library. But just as I haven't tried all the variations of Kit Kat, I haven't accomplished everything I want to do in life yet either. I haven't tried Yogurt, I haven't been to Africa, I haven't tried Earl Grey, and I haven't gone ice skating. Each flavor represents a new opportunity, a new adventure. The variations that attract me the most are the outlandish ones like Wasabi and Corn. Keep regular white, milk, and dark chocolate away from me. I don't want to do things that are common. I want to push my boundaries, get out of my comfort zone and try new things.

In 2001, I started my Kit Kat challenge and I'm far from finishing. There's still numerous of flavors to be discovered and experienced. There's still things to do, people to see, and places to go. And just as I won't enjoy some flavors as much as others, I'll learn through experience that some activities just don't appeal to me. I'll be paying a visit to my native country this winter, only this time, I'll appreciate the scenery more. I'm hoping to find Zunda (mashed edamame beans) flavored Kit Kat, a seasonal edition that is rather rare. Likewise, I'm hoping to attend college, learn the violin, watch a musical for the first time, and any other thing I want to try. This girl has tried Passion Berry, Peach, and Orange, but she's done with trying common flavors. She is ready for a taste of college, but until then, "One Green Tea Kit Kat, please." Forty down. Seventy-eight more to go.
ZhoeK 5 / 173  
Midori

I like the concept of using Kit-Kat's to demonstrate your verve to try new things. I thought, keep regular dark chocolate...I don't want to do things that are common -was a funny yet uncanny way of explaining that you wanted to mix it up. Pushing boundaries and trying new things is always a good trait to demonstrate. Adding the things that you want to accomplish was also a nice touch. Overall I think this essay was well-written and you focused on a specific part of your self and managed to tack in little tidbits about yourself while keeping it entertaining.

Hope this helps!
karissa_a16 4 / 94  
I really really really like this. I guess my only suggestion would be to find a different word for common maybe? Idk that word has a big of an arrogant connotation for me. Maybe typical or normal would be better?
Icandoeverythin 3 / 3  
I think it is a great essay !!!! I really love the idea of Kit Kat!!
Good luck!!
worried26 1 / 23  
Wow! Great analogy, and great essay! I'm trying to see if anything needs to be changed, but I really can't find anything. As previous posters have mentioned, it's very unique, and it was cool how you associated trying out new flavors of Kit Kat with trying out new things. Mentioning your activities was a nice touch, modest and not arrogant at all. You definitely show your personality in your essay, and how you're willing to try so many new things...

Overall, a REALLY great job! :)

Could you also please look at mine? It would be much appreciated! Thank you!
OP pinkstarbaby 6 / 15  
I'm submitting this essay soon, so any last thoughts or grammatical fixes are greatly appreciated. Will return the favor! :-)
deremifri 9 / 137  
I don't know about the switch in the last sentence from I to this girl.
It seems a little random
jonjojonjo 4 / 9  
Great idea! goodluck for your college!
desertautumn 2 / 11  
I agree with deremifri. I think that the last few sentences need some revision.
how about?
I'm done with trying common flavors; now, I'm ready for a taste of college, but until then, "One Green Tea Kit Kat, please." Forty down. Seventy-eight more to go.

Overall, I think you have successfully drawn your analogy between exploring new things in your life and trying out new kit kat flavors. Your essay makes me want to go try your kit kat challenge too :)

all the best for your application
and thanks for your helping me with mine
OP pinkstarbaby 6 / 15  
Thank you guys for all your help and kind words. I submitted my Common Application today.

Wishing you all the best! :-) Happy New year!

Home / Undergraduate / Kit Kats: Common Application Essay