What don't you know?

keilinger 9 / 53  
The building was no more than three thousand square feet, both floors combined. Yet, each time she stepped into the library, my seven-year-old self was instantaneously overjoyed. The smell of books sent me into a kind of delirium, and for two hours each day, I immersed myself in the sentences stretching across each page. "How many pages would amount to how many miles of words?" I wondered. I planned to amass "a hundred bajillion miles" of knowledge. I strategized to read every book in the library, systematically going down the Dewey system. This was easily done with the bitty chapter books. The nonfiction proved to be a roadblock. Sliding my fingers against the satiny, gilded edges of the encyclopedias, I reveled in the idea that out there was a reserve of knowledge, more vast than my mind could ever comprehend.

At seventeen, I have still not learned everything there is to know in the universe, nor do I ever expect to. But I know I will always be learning, when I am twenty, forty, and ninety. As my knowledge expands, my questions, too, will accumulate. And thus, the paradox explained by David Byrne: "The more you know, the more you know you don't know." The lens through which I view the world will undoubtedly be widened by each gem, each piece of knowledge, I gain. But I fully expect that I will never know all that I don't know.

I hope the sentence fragment in the last paragraph is okay. Any thoughts are appreciated!
fightingillini 2 / 6  
Really good essay. You really put a lot of yourself into it and the anecdote of you trying to read every book in the library is original. I think it is great and there really isn't much you can do to improve it. Good vocab usage, not too overpowering. You answered the prompt question in a very creative way.

If you can please take a look at my essay for some critiquing, I'd appreciate it.
The nonfiction proved to be a roadblock.

Ha ha, I love all of it, and this part is the best. It is such great writing.

I think it will be better if you say you had to narrow your focus, and that is why you chose to focus on _________- (name of your chosen field of study.

Yes, I think the second paragraph should NOT continue the theme of amassing knowledge until 20, 40, and 90... I think it should talk about narrowing your focus to your chosen field, and your plan for the future. What is your field of interest?

Home / Undergraduate / What don't you know?