"What I Don't Know" Brown University Supplement

jgirl3 2 / 3  
French novelist Anatole France wrote: "An education isn't how much you have committed to memory, or even how much you know. It's being able to differentiate between what you do know and what you don't." What don't you know?

In this vast, limitless world we live in, the list of things I don't know is immeasurably longer than what I do know. I can't even begin to describe the things I have yet to learn in my education through life. But that is not necessarily a bad thing. I agree with Anatole France that education isn't just about what you know. For me, what I don't know is even more important because it manifests itself as curiosity. I believe curiosity is the most important thing in education because it causes us to be fascinated about what we learn and discover. We need to be interested in what we learn at school or in our everyday life for it to have a lasting effect. Through curiosity I open new doors, answer questions, and turn what I don't know into something I do know.

It seems impossible that after twelve years of learning for five hours a day every day I haven't filled up my brain's capacity. Nevertheless, I still feel that haven't even begun to learn everything I could. One thing I don't yet know is where my life will take me, but in whatever I do I will continue to be curious and one by one, shorten the list of thing I don't know.

I'm not sure if this was a good way to answer the question. Any feedback would be appreciated!
auds 2 / 40  
This is really great, I love it!! The beginning is awesome. When you said "I believe curiosity is the most important thing in education because it causes us to be fascinated about what we learn and discover.", you should insert an example and show how that caused you to be fascinated about something that your extremely passionate about today.
OP jgirl3 2 / 3  
Thanks for the advice! I will definitely add in an example.

Home / Undergraduate / "What I Don't Know" Brown University Supplement