How does it know what I'm looking for?; extracurricular activities / COMMON APP

skriptkid 3 / 7 1  
This is my prompt: "Briefly elaborate on one of your extracurricular activities or work experiences." Any feedback would be appreciated. Also, I'd like to know if I can use the same essay for the prompt: "Briefly describe which single activity listed in the Activity section of your Common Application represents your most meaningful commitment and why." (I know they're almost the same, but I just want to make sure.) Here's my essay,(about programming):

How does it know what I'm looking for? How does it interpret my thoughts and get whatever I want from wherever it is? And how do they make all this?" A baffled twelve-year-old, these were my questions to my father about Google, when I had just begun to use the World Wide Web. Technology was yet a labyrinth to me, and thus, seeking answers to a myriad of such questions about computers and technology, began my voyage into the ocean of Programming. Since then, programming has evolved into my deepest passion, something I have constantly found solace and happiness in. It has been a channel for my creativity, as a canvas to a painter, and has always held me fascinated with how modest lines of code have solved so many problems for mankind and have made our lives so much simpler. From the humbling BASIC program that said, "Hello World!" to the Python servers and crawlers running on my computer and the Arduino-controlled quadrocopter hovering around, the juggling of bits and bytes has given me noetic challenges, and the freedom to experiment and express ideas like nothing else has, and has made me a far more intellectually capable person than I would have been otherwise. Be it debugging a program for a friend in the computer science class, or making my math homework more efficient, every little thing in this journey has been euphoric.
A baffled twelve-year-old,

As a baffled twelve-year old
Well.... is this the response for your extracurricular activity?
If it is so, I think this is not really fitting into that as it does not talk about a specific activity or work experience. However, for the second prompt, which is

"Briefly describe which single activity listed in the Activity section of your Common Application represents your most meaningful commitment and why."

the response seems to be fitting well :)
OP skriptkid 3 / 7 1  
Thank you, dumi! That hleped! :) Any suggestions about what I should or should NOT write for the first prompt?
haru1996 3 / 4 2  
No comma after "computer science class" in the last sentence.

But besides that I think your essay nicely fits in with the prompt. If you have some extra space, maybe you can try to recall like a specific moment in the BASIC program that very memorable to you.
OP skriptkid 3 / 7 1  
I did that. Thanks :) (Late reply, I know.)

Home / Undergraduate / How does it know what I'm looking for?; extracurricular activities / COMMON APP