I know that I LOVE science; Cornell Engineering Supp

rElax17 1 / -  
I'm planning on applying early decision to Cornell, with my primary choice being the College of Engineering (secondary being College of Arts and Sciences). The prompt is:

"Tell us about an engineering idea you have, or about your interest in engineering. Describe how your ideas and interests may be realized by-and linked to-specific resources within the College of Engineering. Finally, explain what a Cornell Engineering education will enable you to accomplish. "

I know that I LOVE science (chemistry specifically), although the Science of Earth Systems major is most appealing to me at this point, but I feel like I don't know enough about engineering and the concepts behind it to be able to successfully convey any idea I have and eventually convince someone to accept me to their college. Surely, I'll have to do research surrounding the resources available to students in the CoE, but any essays I've read in response to this prompt are by the kids who have been participating in science fairs and robotics clubs since an early age--not exactly the path I took.

I'm afraid I'll seem ignorant and unqualified if I even attempted to respond to this.. help!
ishas 5 / 15  
Hi :)

First off, you should to stop worrying about what others are writing about and focus on some self-introspection.

In writing college essays, it's important that you convey to the adcom your interests, your ideas and your future. Effectively, we can break it down in to 2 essays. If we look at the prompt, it initially asks us to write about an engineering idea and how to use the resources within the faculty to help realise this goal. I suspect this is more to generate an outlook on your focus.That means you will need to sit down one day, look in the mirror and ask yourself: What do I want to do with this degree?

Once you've found an answer to this question, you should find an idea (hopefully engineering related :p) to write about. Then, the research begins.

If you can write up this part of the essay first, we can look to answer the second part later.

Capiche? :)
I know that I LOVE science (chemistry specifically)

I know I love science, especially chemistry.

I know that I LOVE science (chemistry specifically), although the Science of Earth Systems major is most appealing to me at this point, but I feel like I don't know enough about engineering and the concepts behind it to be able to successfully convey any idea I have and eventually convince someone to accept me to their college.

.... this sentence is too long. Break it up to a few
ishas given you good advice. I wish you reduced the negativity in your response. Show them you are confident.

Home / Undergraduate / I know that I LOVE science; Cornell Engineering Supp