"Get to Know Other Worlds" - Northwestern Supplement

amespeed 3 / 7  
Hey! Northwestern is my favorite school, but their prompt is stressing me out. I'm not sure if I'm coming off as sincere, if my essay is too long, if I'm not specific enough? Blegh. Any input would be SUPER helpful!

_________________

What are the unique qualities of Northwestern - and of the specific undergraduate school to which you are applying - that make you want to attend the University? In what ways do you hope to take advantage of the qualities you have identified?

_________________

In my World Literature class last September, I was handed a packet containing assorted poems written by a poet I had never heard of before: Wislawa Szymborska. Upon turning the first page, I was presented with one of her most famous quotes: "Get to know other worlds, if only for comparison." By the end of class that day, I had decided that Szymborska was my new idol; her desire for perspective, her passion for exploring foreign ideas, and her reluctance to judge were all things that I admired. Ultimately, my goal in life would probably be summed up by her words. I want to explore everything I can, dive into a plethora of subjects and never limit myself to one perspective. Northwestern University seems like the perfect place to pursue my exploration.

Northwestern first drew my attention as one of the best universities in the nation, but the more I looked into the school, the more the program seemed perfect for me. I was concerned that I would never be able to balance my theatre education with any other interests I would want to pursue, but I have learned that double or even triple majoring at Northwestern is not unrealistic. Whether I choose to explore the field of psychology or dive into business studies, I know at Northwestern I'll always be able to make sure I still have room for my first love: acting.

In researching Northwestern, I also discovered that The School of Communication offers an amazingly unique theatre program. According to the website, they encourage students to have a "broad knowledge upon which to draw" for their acting, which describes exactly what I'm looking for in a drama program. During high school, I was surprised to find that my classes in physics, history, and even calculus ended up sparking passions in me that I never knew I had. Even more surprisingly, I found I was able to apply the things I learned to my acting. When I played the inventor Walter in "UP," my knowledge in physics helped me realize that the engines he designed could never really achieve flight. As Malcolm in "Macbeth," my understanding of the history of the British isles and my knowledge about the historical information available in Shakespeare's time allowed me to piece together a historically accurate, yet realistic character. I realize now that could never join a conservatory: I'd be focusing on only the technicalities of performance and ignoring the vibrant variety of life, which to me is the heart of theatre. I hope that the broad, world-class liberal arts education I could receive at Northwestern would help me become a both a better actor and a more informed human being.

Along with the fact that Northwestern offers a wide breadth of education, I was excited to find that it offered a challenging one as well. Throughout high school, I've sometimes grown complacent with simple core classes, but I've been delighted to find that another class challenged me in a new way. Novel and difficult content is a catalyst for me: when I first began taking an advanced physics class, I found myself passing hours on wikipedia learning about scientific concepts after having completed homework which introduced a new and fascinating idea. I know that at Northwestern, every class will be like that physics class. The content will be held to a standard of quality and difficulty that I'm really excited to experience.

The Northwestern culture also is a huge draw for me. Evanston seems like the perfect home away from home for me. Having grown up in Eugene, Oregon, I'll be able to relate to the somewhat small-town feel that I have heard Evanston provides. I'm sure that I'd fit right in to a what my friend Cassie, a current Northwestern student, calls "the perfect college town." At the same time, I'll have access to one of the biggest cities in the US and all of the cultural variety that it offers. The student body sounds as great as the location; Northwestern attracts diverse students of the highest quality, but the student body still manages to maintain that homey Midwestern family feeling. Being surrounded by peers as excited as I am is an exciting prospect. At Northwestern I know I'll be immersed in the best, brightest, and most unique students that can be found.

Essentially, Northwestern is my perfect school. Between the student body, the amazing location, the quality academics and the unique drama department, there's nowhere I'd rather go. I want to get to the world of Northwestern, although I'm not sure if anything else will be able to compare.
BigBoob15 4 / 17  
I like your essay and the fact that you did research. The only thing that I have to say though is that instead of telling them that you did research just show that you did your research. Also, try not to use the phrases that they use on the website or viewbook.
Joyfulldreams 2 / 5  
I think that this is gold! You answer the prompt directly and effectively. I can see the issues you might be having with length, however - I'm having the exact same issues myself! But while it did start to feel like the essay was long by the 4th paragraph, it doesn't feel like it's dragging on or not making a point. I learned a lot about you from this!

Wish I could be as dedicated to learning physics. XD I liked my Physics class, sure, but only because I had a fun teacher. But I guess I can relate - my AP Studio Art class is really challenging, but I'm loving every second of it and just imagining having multiple art-related classes that are all as awesome as this? Gonna be a BLAST.

I assure you, you seem sincere and honest, definitely specific, and I can't really see anything that I would change! If there isn't a word limit, I don't think you have anything to worry about. I think you did a great job in sounding sincere while still tooting the university's horn a little bit. XD Haha.

DOUBLE THUMBS UP!
OP amespeed 3 / 7  
Okay, I'll go in and get rid of that quote and emphasize my research a little bit less; act like I just knew it all already, yeah?
OP amespeed 3 / 7  
And thanks joyfulldreams, I appreciate the input!! Glad it's not toooo long, I might even cut it a little still.
oladapo 3 / 6  
I realize now that I could never join a conservatory...
I hope that the broad, world-class liberal arts education I could receive at Northwestern would help me become a both a better actor and a more informed human being.

Along with the fact that (the transition here is a little out of place, try look for a more appealing one) Northwestern offers a wide breadth of education, I was excited to find that it offered a challenging one as well.

In all, a very nice piece of essay. Keep doing what you know to do best.
ylp2404 1 / 3  
Hey, nice essay! But you maybe need to talk a little more about qualities of Northwestern that draw you to the school. What specific program do you like the most?...etc
pjw7109 7 / 23  
Thank you for editing my essay.

in your essay, I can see your passion for theater. i really like it because I think it is personal and it shows your voice.

Hopefully, you get in!

Home / Undergraduate / "Get to Know Other Worlds" - Northwestern Supplement