'knowledge of human nature' - Johns Hopkins Supplement

gparfenov 4 / 12  
Edits, comments, critiques are greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot!

Prompt: Johns Hopkins offers 50 majors across the schools of Arts and Sciences and Engineering. On this application, we ask you to identify one or two that you might like to pursue here. Why did you choose the way you did? If you are undecided, why didn't you choose? (If any past courses or academic experiences influenced your decision, you may include them in your essay.) (250 words)

I am a firm believer in that the knowledge of human nature is the foundation for everything else. If you understand human nature, then you understand history, politics, and science. For years after my grandmother died of stomach cancer, I wondered why she had refused treatment. She knew that she was sick, yet her fear and mistrust of doctors coupled with a strong sense of denial left her bedridden in her Moscow apartment. Perhaps if we had understood that, we may have been able to help her.

Although it is very clichï to say that AP Psychology changed my life, I think that anything less does not do my teacher enough justice. For the latter part of his career as a social studies teacher, Mr. **** resided in the biggest classroom of the third floor. (I recall him telling us that teachers would pounce at his room as soon as he retiredïit is only human nature, after all.) Most mornings we would sit at our desks and listen to Mr. ****'s stories about his family, the military life that he endured for nearly a decade, and the perplexing lawsuits he had undertaken. Each week, we would conduct experiments pertaining to reinforcement, conditioning, and even telepathy. Above all, Mr. **** has given me a greater understanding of the world around me, and I believe that with the right applications, psychology can surpass its stereotypical roots as a soft and extraneous science.
I am a firm believer in that the knowledge of human nature is the foundation for everything else.

She knew that she was sick, yet her fear and mistrust of doctors, coupled with a strong sense of denial, left her bedridden in her Moscow apartment.

Perhaps if we had understood that, we may have been able to help her.---How do you understand it now?

Although it is very cliche to say that AP Psychology changed my life, I think that anything less does not do my teacher enough justice.

For the latter part of his career as a social studies teacher, Mr. **** resided in the biggest classroom of the third floor.---This sounds funny, as of course he did not live there!

:)
Anxhela 6 / 28  
I think overall is a good essay and the beginning is great. When I strated reading I wanted to keep reading to find out what you wanted to say..

Good job..

Home / Undergraduate / 'knowledge of human nature' - Johns Hopkins Supplement