"Knowledge in service to society" Duke's environment is collaborative rather than competitive

Puppytime 3 / 11 1  
Hello! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Prompt:If you are applying to the Trinity College of Arts and Sciences as a first year applicant, please discuss why you consider Duke a good match for you. Is there something particular about Duke that attracts you? (Please limit your response to no more than 150 words.)

Duke is built on an approach to knowledge that resonates with what I want to create in the world. Duke's environment is collaborative rather than competitive; acknowledging that the creation of critical and creative thinking is built upon multiple disciplines of thought interweaving. These ideals are demonstrated in the universities smaller class sizes, the multitude of extracurricular and study abroad opportunities, and its flexible degree programs. I could go much more in detail, but perhaps the most prominent example is the school's mission of "Knowledge in service to society". It is my belief that those who peruse greater understanding of their world have a duty to apply that knowledge to benefit the society that supports them. With the multitude of complex questions that face my generation, it is thinkers born of this kind of environment that will help solve them, and I want to be among them.
aquaelmo 2 / 2  
The essay is very well written, but if your are applying to a specific major within the college, make sure to talk about that and make it more personal. Otherwise, if you are applying undecided then it is a very good essay!

Home / Undergraduate / "Knowledge in service to society" Duke's environment is collaborative rather than competitive