'knowledge and wisdom / Ordinary people / Catholic student' - Notre Dame Supplements

tannerscooter 6 / 14 1  
The University of Notre Dame is my dream school and I want to go there more than any other college! Could somebody please read over my supplements and give me advice? I want to make sure that these are as good as I can get them so that I can increase my chances of acceptance as much as I can!

1. In your opinion, what is the difference between intelligence and wisdom? You may cite a historical or fictional example, or offer an illustration from your own experience.

In my opinion, there is a big difference between knowledge and wisdom. Knowledge is the ability for a person to learn new things, while wisdom is the ability of being able to apply learned things to make decisions in life. A person can have a lot of knowledge but not a lot of wisdom and vice-versa. As a small child, my mother would always tell me that I should never stick my finger into the electrical outlet or else I would get shocked. One day, curiosity got the best of me and I stuck my finger in it and got shocked. I had knowledge that that would happen, but I didn't have the wisdom to not do it. It took getting a shock to realize that the outlet would shock me. Knowledge comes from things like books and our mothers, while wisdom can only be obtained through life experience.

3. Gary Gaffney, '69MS, began doctoral work in mathematics at Notre Dame but left to become an artist, eventually earning two degrees in fine art. His poem "Mil Preguntas (a meditation in 1000 questions)" explores a myriad of topics, using queries both whimsical and profound. Some of our favorites are:

-Is being ordinary a failure?
Provide your own answer to one of the author's inquires and be sure to tell us which question you select.

I do not believe that anybody is "ordinary". I believe that God created each and every one of us to be unique in our own special way. Because there is no standard to determine if somebody is "ordinary" or not, can anybody in this world really be a failure? Everybody has their own goals that they want reach as well as their own situations that they have to deal with while trying to obtain those goals. For example, if a girl gets into college to become a doctor but has to drop out in order to take care of her mother who has fallen ill, do we call her a failure for it? No, we call her a model daughter because she realizes the importance of her family over the other situations in her life. In God's eyes, there is no "ordinary" and there are no failures.

5. Why are you interested in attending the University of Notre Dame?

Being a Catholic student attending a non-Catholic high school, I have always felt a bit out of place. Sometimes I even feel discriminated against because of my beliefs, often by the same people that pledge to oppose prejudice. Besides my church and family, I have never really found a place where I truly feel I belong.

After visiting the University of Notre Dame back in June, I believe this institution to be the place where I want to begin the next part of my life. While I was there, I felt like I was right at home. It's as if the soul of this university resonated with my own. As I grow into adulthood, I want a place where I can not only mature academically, but spiritually as well. I believe the University of Notre Dame to be the perfect place to grow into a well-rounded servant of the Lord.
admission2012 - / 477 90  
Hello,

For this critique I will talk about question 5 -Why are you interested in attending the University of Notre Dame? This is probably the most important question out of the bunch. Your answer is pretty much a canned answer. Notre Dame is Catholic so let me say that I because I am a Catholic, I belong. While Norte Dame is in fact a Catholic institution so is Villanova and literally dozens of other great universities....Why Norte Dame. Your response to the questions needs to be deeper than the one you provided. -AAO

Hope this helps.
mystictiger 5 / 11  
On number 1, don't restate "in my opinion" and go straight to the point. It will show that you know what you are talking about.

Home / Undergraduate / 'knowledge and wisdom / Ordinary people / Catholic student' - Notre Dame Supplements